Exploding underseal.....

2drdan

Disaster with exploding bottle of underseal.... :o

Well I had a can of waxoyl stone guard underseal, the black stuff. Unfortunately the spray nozzle had broken off and I didn't have one like it to use (teach me to keep lids on things) and I wanted to treat the chassis behind the fuel filter on my Discovery as it was off to be changed and the chassis is suffering with surface rust as many a Series II Disco is by now. Mine is a 53 plate so not too bad, but it will be done professionally as soon as I have the funds....Tyres needed first.... :(

I had released the gas from the aerosol can using a nail in the top with the can upside down in a container, Nothing untoward yet, gas gone, can de-pressurised, hole drilled in top and hole to let air in...

I had an empty drinks bottle handy, filled it up, painted the chassis, finished doing the oil and filters on the car and went back to the garage to clean up. :rolleyes:

I'd noticed that the bottle was a bit pressurised so I loosened the cap and a bit of gas escaped under pressure. I chucked in an old nut to keep the stuff mixed as I thought I may as well use it up on the rest of the back of the chassis after a scrape off. So there I was standing in front of the shelves, freshly sanded and waxed ex-church pew and my girlfriends CBR600 nearby...... so I shook the bottle to give it a mix.... and that was it, the cap flew off and a fountain of black waxy underseal sprayed out everywhere, me, shelves, pew and bike!!!! :angry::angry::blink:

B*@9%3" and a few choice extras ....

Does anyone know why this would happen?

Would the old nut I threw in have any effect?

Any ideas welcome...

Cheers.