Trailer Security

stuck

Gents,

Finaly got my self a decent trailer.

Trouble is I don't have any where secure to store it so it will have to go in the field.

Any ingenious suggestions for preventing pikeys / scum from driving off with it?

Best I can think of is removing a couple of wheels from one side and fitting a hitch lock.

What do you guys do?

Mick.

Gents,

Finaly got my self a decent trailer.

Trouble is I don't have any where secure to store it so it will have to go in the field.

Any ingenious suggestions for preventing pikeys / scum from driving off with it?

Best I can think of is removing a couple of wheels from one side and fitting a hitch lock.

What do you guys do?

Mick.

after buying a trailer from our local dealer who is very helpfull we asked the same question and unfortunatly his reply was i wont sell you any security device as none of them will prevent theft if the person I'm not that keen on want it he has acces to police reports containing all the devices the theving scum have made to steal trailers it seams the best security is tagging or marking so when the police raid places (you know where i mean)there is a chance it will be returned to its rightfull owner probably not what you want to hear but thats the truth i am affraid

Best i have done is to insure it for theft while off car - also that meant adding locking wheel nut to every wheel, insureance approved wheel clamp and hitch lock, also drive has a chain accross it and the gate posts are steel cememted in deep.

Sadly still wont stop them but at least enough for insurance cover!

i would also suggest a mega thick chain or two concreted deeply in with lots of metal etc buried in to secure it and chaining up drawbar, all should slow down a bit.

Davie

if your planning on keeping it for a while weld your post code everywhere my trailer has postcode and initials everywhere doesnt look brilliant but would take a lot of grinding to get it all off, also drill some holes in the shape of post code its harder to weld or remove a piece to cover it up,chris.

Mine has a tripple lock hitch which is locked, into which i lock an AL-KO security hitch ball and i also use an approved wheel clamp, mine tends to live in a remote place behind locked gates too however if i have to park it outside the house i usually chain it to a lamp post too as an additional measure.

My friend has a very special custom trailer, with hydraulic lifting wheels, so he can sit it on the ground. But he also has a HUGH lifting eye, welded to a thick steel plate, well rawl bolted to good thick concrete, and then the rawl bolts welded up. This with a BIG heavy chain is his security.

hi mate

if your putting it in a field you need a 56 gallon drum top cut off fill with scrap steel at different angles put a hole in the side large enough to put a heavy chain through then fill with concrete.leave 4 day to dry making shore you tamper it down while wet to rid it of air leave enough chain to rap around the front of trailer and to reach your axles.you then need a steel box about 8x8 inch with out a lid cut a hole in the bottom just wide enough to get 1 link in put a large padlock on the link inside and one lock on the link outside.remember to rap chain around axle ones.paint the barrel but don't site it close to a road as they will hiab it out.and you will require tractor with bucket to move.

hope this is helpful

regards

wilbur

p.s when choosing the locks and chain think how long it would take you to remove if you lost keys then double the chain thickness and the lock size

Good idea. We have to buy our PinBall hitches special for our recovery trucks, as we contract to AA Truck, who take care of the forces on road breakdown/recovery. And as we're right next to Catterick.........

But yeah, a NATO ring won't fit into a standard Pinball.

No pikey has ever tried to steal what he does not know is there. Keep the trailer where it cannot be seen - I appreciate that this is not easy. The more difficult your trailer is to steal, the more likely someone else will be the victim.

Chris

Gents,

What do you guys do?

Mick.

10 foot pallisade fence outer, 12 foot Rutland Electric fence inner (and it's no cattle fence, it'll knock you on your 4rse) with automatic 5 second generator backup in case of mains failure/sabotage, fence trip alarms wired direct to local police station and automatic phone dialler to two other locations. Kaba roller shutter doors on buildings only open from inside. Yard floodlit 24/7. Trackers on all plant, and all keys kept in the safe.

Never had owt pinched :)