A few questions on 8274's

SteveG

Is 8274 man enough with main shaft mods to cope with 6HP XP motor??

Other than strength what other benefits does giglepin's main shaft mod bring?

Free spooling drum - Is this a modification to existing drum or a completely new one.

Lastly does anyone have an e-mail address for Jim they could PM me so that I can ask him some questions.

Thanks

Steve

Steve Jim's number is in the tech section "8274 thread"

The XP motor on mine has been fine with the standard mainshaft

Jims is a fair bit stronger Paul Wightman has one in his 8274

Freespooling Jim can advise I think it is an exchange drum

I did have a mail address for him - but he doesn't read it much. I'd PM him.

A big plus of his main shaft is that the disk brake assembly is better held in place. Remember the Slindon Challenge where Jon Staff's (Chelsea Tractor) disk pretty much exploded on the first punch? It was because the circlip came off - and we lost most of the bits in the mud.

The day didn't get better after that!

All-in, although it's expensive, It's a good bit of engineering. I'd certainly buy one if I broke or damaged the original.

Si

Thanks for the answers Tony and Simon. I'll also PM Jim

One of the reasons I ask is that I just bought an 8274 in the states for just over 200 quid. It's fully working. But for bringing it back I was going to strip it and only bring back what I need. The motor, solenoid pack, and wire are going to a good home. I plan on getting a 6 HP XP motor while I'm out there and I was seeing if I needed to bring back the main shaft and drum.

Cheers

Steve

One of the reasons I ask is that I just bought an 8274 in the states for just over 200 quid. It's fully working. But for bringing it back I was going to strip it and only bring back what I need. The motor, solenoid pack, and wire are going to a good home. I plan on getting a 6 HP XP motor while I'm out there and I was seeing if I needed to bring back the main shaft and drum.

Cheers

Steve

Steve, Jim's non freespool, narrowed/extended durms are exchange but, IIRC, his now freespool ones will be an outright buy but you will need the endplate.

The mainshaft, as has been said, is stronger and locates the brake better but also has a revised method for locating the drum and shimming the gears which means the whole setup is much less floppy and loose. I'm going to be putting a brand new 24V 8274 on the back of the truck and it will certainly be getting a mainshaft at the same time as I'll be looking to upgrade the motor(s) by the end of the year. Strengthwise, a 6hp is probably OK on a standard shaft.

Cheers

Steve

You will need most of the parts that assemble on the main shaft (cam, gearwheel, brake components, keys), be careful not to leave any of them behind. The bearings and seals are consumable items and may need replacing anyway.

I don't know how Jim does his free spool drum (there are pics of mine in the tech archive). He may re-use the splined hub from the drive end of the drum.

You will need most of the parts that assemble on the main shaft (cam, gearwheel, brake components, keys), be careful not to leave any of them behind. The bearings and seals are consumable items and may need replacing anyway.

I don't know how Jim does his free spool drum (there are pics of mine in the tech archive). He may re-use the splined hub from the drive end of the drum.

When I spoke to him last he said it was going to be an outright part but things may have changed. Jim brought a preproduction drum along to the Mike Wolfe challenge about 2 months ago and it looks really nice. It uses a differant method to yours, though, John. I'm sure Jim'll put up details next week when he's back, he's off at an event this weekend.

The free spool drum is a great feature with sythetic ropes, which can get in a mess using the alternative method of powering out to extend the rope to an anchor point.

Yeah you have to be careful with the over wrapping. That's how I snapped my rope. It over wrapped when spooling out, didn't notice and when winching in up an incline it caught on top of winch bumper angle due to the angle from the rope winding back on the top and not the bottom of the drum :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Thanks for all of the responses

Steve