It spits out its core plugs

Help, I have 1992 Range Rover Vogue , fabulous in all respects other than,i cant drive the damn thing more than 10 miles or if I kick down on a hill It will spit up one of the 4 core plugs in the block.

I was told it blew out the freeze plugs before I got it in the depths of winter.does this mean my blocks is saffude, can anyone suggest why this happens, I thought to try the US ceramic stuff , will that really fix it, or is it as I suspect she very and will need a strip down. please say this is not so

I was told it blew out the freeze plugs before I got it in the depths of winter.does this mean my blocks is saffude

That certainly isn't a good sign, you have to wonder what else happened that no-one spotted /fixed.

That is some pressure building up inside, to blow a core plug, unless someone didn't put them in well. As Iomit says, never seen it happen except on a frozen engine (dawn, Febraury, near Shap Summit, mid 90s).

Help, I have 1992 Range Rover Vogue , fabulous in all respects other than,i cant drive the damn thing more than 10 miles or if I kick down on a hill It will spit up one of the 4 core plugs in the block.

I was told it blew out the freeze plugs before I got it in the depths of winter.does this mean my blocks is saffude, can anyone suggest why this happens, I thought to try the US ceramic stuff , will that really fix it, or is it as I suspect she very and will need a strip down. please say this is not so

It sounds like a lot of pressure I wonder why it hasn't damaged the radiator or the plastic top up container mounted on the inside of the fender, perhaps because the core plug blows out acting like a safety valve.

Head gasket is a reasonable conclusion so try starting the engine at stand still with the radiator cap off or loose and see if it blows a large volume of water out or get hold of a cylinder pressure tester and test each cylinder to see if the pressure in each cylinder is roughly the same, if there is a big variance it is either a head gasket or a cracked head.

Good luck.....Hope this helps

I thought to try the US ceramic stuff , will that really fix it

No, this will fix a leak but will not stop the plug blowing out.

.....It will spit up one of the 4 core plugs in the block.

Have you refitted new plugs and were they tight?

Others are suggesting head gasket but it may simply be the plugs are no longer a good fit (or Britpart).

Steve

I wonder what condition the plug which came out was in and what the rest look like, as has been said it could be that the replacements are flawed or just too small, are you sure your getting them good and tight using a blunt thingy and hammer.

If all thats ok I would suggest that the system is being pressurised and that does suggest a head gasket problem, do they blow out quickly or does it give you time to check for bubbles in the expansion bottle or pressure in the hose's.