front differential (pan) leak

Hi,

Trying to fix some leaks.... this one is the front differential pan. Are there any 'temporary' sollutions to fix such a leak? Best would be a new diff pan or axle casing but right now I do not have to the time to start such a project... Will sealant do? Steel Putty? Any advice welcome.

Cheers

Marco

post-2702-125147406342_thumb.jpg

Hi,

Trying to fix some leaks.... this one is the front differential pan. Are there any 'temporary' sollutions to fix such a leak? Best would be a new diff pan or axle casing but right now I do not have to the time to start such a project... Will sealant do? Steel Putty? Any advice welcome.

Cheers

Marco

It looks like the weld or metal near it has craked - you're going to have to drain it to do anything, so why not weld it? It's only a tiny ikkle hole ...

Thanks, at this stage I will probably try to seal it first, I'm a bit afraid to weld it as there are some signs of previous welding job(s). Not sure about the thickness of the metal and a bit afraid of welding a bigger hole into it.

I've found the post on replacing the pan on this forum, probably try that at a later stage.

Cheers

Marco

I was suprised how thin my diff pan was, almost paper thin! The difficulty was trying to weld it up, a mig would have just blown it to bits even on its lowest setting.

So I gas welded it, even then I was chasing holes for a while.

Beware of using chemical metal too, if you smudge it through any holes, it'll set and then you'll have blobs of solids floating round in the diff oil.

I also used a gas bottle as a repair:

http://www.landroveraddict.com/smf/index.php?topic=376158.0

It could have been done in situ, but I already had a box of accumulated bits to rebuild the swivels and brakes, so I took the axle out and built it all up on the bench.