Competition Trucks

stuck

Hi Gents,

Considering building my 1st competition truck, purely for off road use.

Quick question for those that have them, what did you start with as a donor?

Doesn't seem right having to spend a couple of grand on a half decent vehicle only then to start chopping it about.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Mick.

The type of competition that you want to do will help define the best place to start, and also having a look to see what the class structure is in the events that you fancy, because it is always more fun to go up against trucks of a similar state to yours.

In speed events and trials there are often categories for production based vehicles and more modified cars/buggies. In winch challenges its often based more on the level of modifications. Whilst the modified classes tend to attract the guys with the big wallets the production categories often don't and you can compete on a level playing field without spending so much dough!

H

I would go to some of the events you are looking at entering and look at the vehicles competing and talk to the drivers.

Everyone has different driving styles, views on whats good or bad, works and does not work. Also many people learn by their mistakes and when starting a new build will do things differently to how they had previously. Could potentially save you time and money by getting things right first time.

Also decide what class you wish to compete in and from there you can look at your budget and decide what is your order of priority.

Personally I would opt for a Standard class vehicle to start with, learn to drive it to it's maximum before starting to add all the goodies.

Depending what you're going for, starting out with a donor vehicle can be a total waste of time, money, and a vehicle. You can count the number of original bits on the fingers of one finger with a lot of challenge trucks.

Starting with something like a RR chassis (costs nothing, has all the relevant suspension mountings, gives you something to hang stuff off of) and just building what you want and only buying bits you need as you go I think is ultimately easier.

The first thing you need to do though, is decide exactly what you want it to do. From there you just work backwards and the car kinda builds itself.

A decent 300TDI then systematically upgraded it.

Plus point is I can always ask for the seals items I need

which was a pain before on the Hybrid I had.

Plus no SVA/IVA.

But I can see the advantages of what the others suggest now with hindsight.

My was 9k when I brought it.

Money that could have be saved I guess.

quad bike on portals... or a gator on portals... or just a gator with 6 wheels and two massive winches front and rear. no water issues at all, and no sinking issues.

Hi Gents,

Considering building my 1st competition truck, purely for off road use.

Quick question for those that have them, what did you start with as a donor?

Doesn't seem right having to spend a couple of grand on a half decent vehicle only then to start chopping it about.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Mick.

quad bike on portals... or a gator on portals... or just a gator with 6 wheels and two massive winches front and rear. no water issues at all, and no sinking issues.

[/qUOTE]

Pig,

Like your thinking but you know between me you and Ade we would destroy it biggrin.gif

Dan

as I keep saying Dan, think outside the box for these sorta events... its the only way forward you know. :lol:

but yes, it would need to be bullet proofed up a little for vandels such as yourself and turner.

Pig,

Like your thinking but you know between me you and Ade we would destroy it biggrin.gif

Dan