Translate MOT failure sheet into plain english

Monty1234

Hi all,

I've been to have a look at a Disco that falied it's MOT, the guy selling hadn't got a copy of the failure sheet but I managed to get the info online when I got back home.

As follows:

Reason(s) for refusal to issue Certificate

Nearside Front Steering system has excessive free play detected at the steering wheel (steering box fitted) (2.2.A.1a)

Rear Lower BOOT FLOOR Suspension component mounting prescribed area is deliberately modified which significantly reduces the original strength (2.4.A.2)

Offside Front INNER WING Suspension component mounting prescribed area is excessively corroded (2.4.A.2)

Nearside Rear INNER WHEEL ARCH Suspension component mounting prescribed area is excessively corroded (2.4.A.2)

I wondered if one of you Mechanic guru's could explain exactly what it means

The steering didn't feel right, like it was hesitating but hard to describe

Would it be worth buying with the above problems (what do you think it would cost to sort out myself), and if so for how much ( I know it depends on the rest of the car but it looked quite good )

Many thanks in advance

Monty

Reason(s) for refusal to issue Certificate

Never ever a good start!

Nearside Front Steering system has excessive free play detected at the steering wheel (steering box fitted) (2.2.A.1a)

That sounds like badly worn track rod ends - £10s of pounds to fix

Rear Lower BOOT FLOOR Suspension component mounting prescribed area is deliberately modified which significantly reduces the original strength (2.4.A.2)

Err - someone has repaired the boot floor / A-frame mounts / chassis nearby so badly the tester reckons it's unsafe. Can't guess at a fix cost, 'cos it could be quite a job.

Offside Front INNER WING Suspension component mounting prescribed area is excessively corroded (2.4.A.2)

The top driver's side spring / damper mount is rusty / perforated

Nearside Rear INNER WHEEL ARCH Suspension component mounting prescribed area is excessively corroded (2.4.A.2)

The passenger side spring / damper mount is rusty / perforated

The steering didn't feel right, like it was hesitating but hard to describe

That's because the track rod ends are knackered!

Would it be worth buying with the above problems (what do you think it would cost to sort out myself), and if so for how much ( I know it depends on the rest of the car but it looked quite good )

If you want a project, buy it, but my guess would be that there will be many things wrong that you will only find when you pull it apart. Never trust a seller who can't find the relevant paperwork.

Mmmm, an odd one this one - being as how is a ladder chassis with a body bolted on top that is no way connected to the suspension - how the hell can rusty inner and rear arches affect suspension components that aren't even connected to them? Seat belt mounts with the rear, yes, but the front inner wings and suspension, nah think not. Just a thought...........

But, its gonna need a shed load of welding done to it anyways regardless of wiether or not it'll pass the MoT, so unless you can do that or know someone who can cheaply, I'd stay away.........

how the hell can rusty inner and rear arches affect suspension components that aren't even connected to them?

Unfortunatelty the rules say "within 30cm of", even if it's not connected it's within 30cm of the part and therefore no good.

Best bet with this thread is to post pictures of the thing, a picture tells a thousand words.

Unfortunatelty the rules say "within 30cm of", even if it's not connected it's within 30cm of the part and therefore no good.

Best bet with this thread is to post pictures of the thing, a picture tells a thousand words.

Yeah I know -I was a tester for nigh on 20 years in the military, but I for one think its rubbish to generalise so much when the build of a monocoque car and a ladder chassis car vary so markedly - I could put a brand new glavanised chassis under this wreck in question and it would still fail the MoT regardless of the fact that the rust in question bears no relevance to the chassis in any way - mad!

Agreed with the photos as well - best way to see what exactly is up.........

Thanks for the replies folks, looks like it's beyond my meagre skills, even if bought dirt cheap.

I'm afraid I didn't take any photos as I hadn't got a clue what it had failed on (other than the boot floor) until I got back home and got the failure info from the VOSA site.

The bit that really concerned me was:

Sounds like a bit of a bodge job.

I'll keep looking....

cheers

Monty