Seat belt requirement in 1958 Series II

Lars G. T. Jorgensen

rtbarton is right.

My series 3, that I imported into Sweden does not require seat belts because of it's date of manufacture but the previous owner did have a set cobbled together in it. At the MOT station (SBP) they looked at the mountings and failed the installation directly on safety grounds. I later bought and installed proper Land Rover mounts, armed with bills, WSM and diagrams I went back in to SBP and they approved the new mounts.

But with that said, I still didn't need them so I could he left them off if I wanted.

Todd.

I've just aquired a Series 2 from 1958. I'm going to put seat belts in it

but I was just curious if it's a legal requirement.

/Lars - Finally back on all fours again..

Hi Lars

Ole here jolly good you are back on the "right" track again, I can see that you are going to Polen with Bo o september, the best off luck with that and the "new" car.

Kind regards

Ole.

Hi Lars

Ole here jolly good you are back on the "right" track again, I can see that you are going to Polen with Bo o september, the best off luck with that and the "new" car.

Kind regards

Ole.

Hi Ole,

Jups everything has finally fallen into place with Transgothica.

Just had a closer look at "new car" it in daylight. Can't believe how good a state it's in.

Now if I wasn't going to spend all my money racing this month I would rush out and

start buying bits.

Kind Regards, Lars

You can fit racing harnesses.

Best would be a way of fixing the lap belts down to brackets on the chassis but this will require quite a lot of fabrication. What I did was fabricate big spreader plates and bolt them to the rear body behind the seats and fit mounting eyes there.

How you would fit mounts for the shoulder straps depends on what you have on the vehicle and the seat you have fitted. I only used lap straps as mine was a soft top.

Provided the racing harnesses are tagged as fit for road use all should be legal.

Due to the age of the vehicle seat belts are not required but if they are fitted must be fit for purpose and in good condition, also if they are fitted they must be worn.

This applies in the UK if you are overseas then it maybe different.