Trailer air brakes for Defender

Only required if the trailer plus it's load is 4000 kgs, these are known as coupled brakes & were vacuum powered, Exmoor Beast has/did have the kit on his ex-SWEB 110, these were fitted by LRSV, I don't known which kit LR use now or if it's available outside the factory.

A friend has been involved in building a 150" 6x4 for a customer. It has air brakes for an Ifor Williams trailer it will tow (the Ifor has brakes been converted).

He is using a Sanden air-con pump with two reservoirs to provide the air for the tralier brakes as well as the air suspension on the LR's 2nd and 3rd axles.

There's all sorts of clever bits involved for both systems, they're pretty spendy I should think. I can see what else I can find out, the design has been pretty well honed as this is the second vehicle like this they have built.

Thanks for all the replies.

I have the air supply and tanks already, what I'm not sure about is how when I press the brake pedal what is needed to send the air through the coupling to the trailer brakes...presumably this also needs to be able to know how much brake pressure I am applying so as not to lock the wheels on the trailer the instant I put my foot on the pedal.

Mickeyw - If you could help further, particularly with the above that would be appreciated greatly.

Western - Do you think Exmoor beast would mind a PM asking a few questions or could you perhaps prod him to this thread?

And if anyone has any air braking trailer kit for a Defender sale that they might be willing to part with please PM me.

Thanks,

Pete

Dont know if im missing something here but the maximum towing capacity of the Defender is 3500kgs , So why the need for air braked trailers ?, Over run brakes are fitted up to 3500kg trailers

Defenders & earlier 90/110 can if fitted with 'coupled' vacuum brakes legally tow 4000kgs [4tonnes] this includes the trailer as well as any payload. it was a SV fitting for customers who needed it.

The reason for my question is Land Rover brakes are as I'm sure you will all agree are not the best in the world and when towing heavy plant equipment the extra assistance of air brakes would be a major benefit particularly in hilly areas such as Wales where the brakes are working extra hard. Even if the load isn't 4000kg I just thought it would be a good advantage over the over run brakes.

Along the same lines I was also toying with the idea of building a towable spec lift with air brakes for towing something heavy where the stranded vehicle offers no braking assistance at all.

Thanks,

Pete

Try speaking to these people http://www.erentek.co.uk/conv-kits.htm, they do full kits and indevidual parts. They do a valve that you connect to you hydraulic brake line and it then gives a proportional air output. Its very similar to a standard truck air brake relay valve, just that the pilot is hydraulic and not air.I think from memory they were £150 ish, but might be wrong. There is also a company called trac air that do similar systems, but i found these less helpfull.

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks to Jimyd that was exactly the thing I was looking for many thanks.

Many thanks to Mickeyw for the photo's, it gives me a pretty good idea of whats needed and a rough idea how it works. Thats looks a pretty awesome vehicle whats it going to be when it's finished?

Thanks,

Pete

Many thanks to Jimyd that was exactly the thing I was looking for many thanks.

Many thanks to Mickeyw for the photo's, it gives me a pretty good idea of whats needed and a rough idea how it works. Thats looks a pretty awesome vehicle whats it going to be when it's finished?

Thanks,

Pete

It'll be a 6x4, with a custom made flat bed and a Hiab right at the back to unload itself and the trailer. It will be running very heavy hence the air braking.

Will be powered by a 4.6 running only LPG and fitted to an R380. Axles 2&3 will have air suspension, 1st and 3rd axles will be driven.

This will be the second one the owner has had built. The first one looks pretty impressive on the road. I'll try and get some more photos as the build progresses.

• 2 years later...

Am I right in thinking that coupled brakes don't necessarily have to be air brakes. Would it not be easier to put standard hydraulic brakes on the trailer and take some sort of quick detach feed from the vehicle brakes. The only thing you would have to be careful of is introducing air to the vehicle braking system.

LR fit or used to use a VACUUM system for their LRSV coupled brajed vehicles, so vac or air as you see fit.

Along the same lines I was also toying with the idea of building a towable spec lift with air brakes for towing something heavy where the stranded vehicle offers no braking assistance at all.

speclift tow dollies for towing to a place of safety or repair, the rules are very confusing, AA use van mounted/towed units as well as full lift transporter trucks. my speclift dolly is only used for rallycars not on public roads.