Rough Running 3.9

Mean Green

Disconnect the AFM from the harness plug, and go for a drive.

The system will go into a Full Fuel and full air mode, it will run rich, but if no different then its not the AFM

Check all the harness earths, these are critical, INCLUDING the battery earth.

Check fuel pressure. Swap for good known ECU

Check / change Amp ion outside dizzy for known good one

Check for air leaks in the various pipework, this is exatly the symptoms, and also do a engine compression test.

Lastly go and buy some FORTE Engine Fuel injector cleaner, place the whole container in about 1/3 of a full tank, and run the tank through before filling up again.

I have a diagnostic manaual somewhere for the 3.9 Hotwire, PM me you e-mail, but ONLY if your on BroadBand and I'll have a rummage.

Nige

Thats it Greeny - your gettin it!! as your sparky and local RRR rep just happen to be me!

Oh aye.. really need to be nice to you don't I, or my garage leccy will never be finished.

How did you get on with insurance.... any improvement on £5370! :lol::lol:

What is one DOUBLE socket not enough??

Nicole must be a very big risk as the best I can find is £1600, Diamond were even about £3000. so it looks like Karen will have to insure it for here for a few years but that is still £660 ish.

Disconnect the AFM from the harness plug, and go for a drive.

The system will go into a Full Fuel and full air mode, it will run rich, but if no different then its not the AFM

Mine doesn't do that (3.9 Hotwire) - if you unplug the MAF meter it won't run on petrol at all.

PM me a e-mail adres and I'll ping you the manual / diaganostic,

AFMs

3.5, .....you can't disconnect as the pump runs when the flaps open under air draw.

3.9s, ......goes to default of Max air and max fuel, ....tests the AFM .....and yes it will run as rough as a rough thing at a convention on roughness

Nige

PM me a e-mail adres and I'll ping you the manual / diaganostic,

AFMs

3.5, .....you can't disconnect as the pump runs when the flaps open under air draw.

3.9s, ......goes to default of Max air and max fuel, ....tests the AFM .....and yes it will run as rough as a rough thing at a convention on roughness

Nige

A 3.9 will definietly run without the AFM plugged in.

When following one thats like this, its a little smoky as you toddle along and its almost like an over-fuelling diesel would be when you plant the throttle, plumes of black smoke out the rear.

Of course, this can easily be avoided if people remember to plug the airflow meter connector back onto the air flow meter itself after having swapping them out...... isn't that right Greg? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Of course, this can easily be avoided if people remember to plug the airflow meter connector back onto the air flow meter itself after having swapping them out...... isn't that right Greg? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Ah, emm err... yes.

In my quest to solve the problem I thought I would try it without AFM! :D

It was not me that thought it was a connector for an injector emulator.

Update... no joy yet. Tried everything in the test sheets with no joy. Gas is now installed and it runs even worse on gas than petrol.

It has now become dangerous to drive.. stalls constantly (although I have become and expert at flicking into 'N', restarting engine, back into drive, while going round a roundabout with no PAS and in heavy traffic) and just cannot be relied on.

Going into the garage today (the former owner) with instruction to find the fault or it will be getting cut up into 50p size pieces!!! It was his pride and joy and the stipulation on the sale was that I did not bobtail it or break it - so hopefully it will focus his mind on fixing the prob :D

Do you offer a fitting service as well?

Did you get to Martin's with posh (pile of s.) then?

We got a bit damp on the way home, really must get the roof back on Nic's 90.

Fitting service is available - cant guarentee it will be fitted to your standard tho! I dont tend to use cable ties :D

Yes, the P.O.SH made it down the road - ran sweet as a nut all the way there! thankfully it started playing up just as I arrived , so he heard the problem 1st hand. Fingers crossed he fixes it ... or it is curtains for the 3.9 and I will keep Kev's 3.5!

I was going to give you a call to let you know I was thinking of you in my nice dry rangie :D