Rough Running 3.9

Mean Green

Yikes ! :o

Not often that the test sheet I sent you fails,

You did all the tests and everything checked out ?

I have some other stuff I'll dig out, but just update as to position now and above ???

Nige

PS where do you live ?? anywhere near me (Guildford) ?

Hi Nige,

The only thing in the test book that you sent that we did not check was the fuel pressure - as we didnt have a gauge. However, we sort of discounted that as a source due to it also running rough on gas.

Unfortunately, I live in South West Scotland... so a long way from Guildford! Although amazingly enough I am going to a wedding at Farnham castle (just along the road from you??) tomorrow and will be driving down tonight - albeit not in the Rangie :(

Was it the dizzy? was it?? was it??? come on we need to know!!!

Andy

www.landroverheaven.com

Damn...need to remember not to post things when the guy selling the parts is watching!! (esp when I have not paid him yet!!)

Well the news is good. All now seems well once more.

It no longer cuts out on petrol, although it did seem a bit sluggish on gas - however that is more the gas set up than anything else.

So thats another thing to add to the list of things toc heck if your 3.9 runs rough - check the dizzy.

I cant give a full explaination of what the problem was as the garage man was not in when I collected it, as soon as I can get an explaination I will post it.

greg, have you got your coolant pipes plumbed in for the gas yet? Do you think you'll have that done by tomorrow night?

if your bringing it tomorrow, I can have a first pass at the gas tuning.

make sure you bring the little gas analyser - i think i left it in your garage ( blue box )

did i also leave 3in1 oil there too? if so, can you bring that too! cheers!

most common things with the dizzy is when you change the rotor if you opull the arm off it pops a bob weight off, and yes thats why I know.....

Also bobs weights can get titred, and advance jams

This will show with a good (snap on multi display advance) Strobe, as the advance - well it don't....ask me how I know again, this time a year ago with the rebullt Eales, took ages to find :(

Glad its sorted at long last, and just think, you also know (cos you have tested thme) the rest of the engine electrics are perfect :lol:

Nige

[Damn...need to remember not to post things when the guy selling the parts is watching!! (esp when I have not paid him yet!!)

WooHoo!!!! Chinky for my tea tonight then.

:D

Glad you finally got to the bottom of it. This'll be a good topic for the archive.

Andy

www.landroverheaven.com

Nige,

the bob weights had popped off previously and I put them back on. It made a difference at the time interms of improving the upper end performance, but didn't sort the idling / stalling.

I didn't come across anything else obviously wrong with the dizzy at the time. The sensor / pickup around the star wheel was secure in place. the vacuum advance secure and working and the rotor arm could be advanced forward by twisting it, and it'd snap back into place when you let it go.

I dont remember any other obvious play.

ah well - hopefully Greg will feedback on exactly what was wrong with it.

greg, have you got your coolant pipes plumbed in for the gas yet? Do you think you'll have that done by tomorrow night?

if your bringing it tomorrow, I can have a first pass at the gas tuning.

make sure you bring the little gas analyser - i think i left it in your garage ( blue box )

did i also leave 3in1 oil there too? if so, can you bring that too! cheers!

Morning Donald,

Yes, I have already plumbed all the coolant pipes in and commissioned the system as per the book.

It just needs a bit of a tune on gas. When I was coming up the road last night I was overtaking and it felt a little underpowered, I flicked it back onto petrol, it gave a little chug with the switch over then took off like a scalded cat.

And yes you did leave the gas analyser and the 3-in-one and a few other bits and bobs i think.

I will get them altogether for you tonight along with the Jate Rings.

[Damn...need to remember not to post things when the guy selling the parts is watching!! (esp when I have not paid him yet!!)

WooHoo!!!! Chinky for my tea tonight then.

:D

Glad you finally got to the bottom of it. This'll be a good topic for the archive.

Andy

www.landroverheaven.com

Andy I will pass a wad of cash to "The Middleman" tonight for delivery to the exchange area. ;):D

Thats going to be a hell of a big meal (or a very expensive take-away)!

enjoy!

will this middleman be getting a smaller chinky??

I think you just answered your own question by mentioning your middle :P

Once again a V8 saved by a good old TDi classic

You shouldn't even get a prawn cracker for that remark.

Here speaks the man that said "Eeeh Ah don't eat that foriegn stuff"

I said I would not make any more remarks about your TDi but you are still fair game :ph34r:

Well Gregs RR seemed to be running fine last night.

Both the 2 RR's and the 90 performed brilliantly all round the site at Neilston.

Since he's not here i'll land him in it:

Greg got stuck doing the tree run ( the marshy bit that runs along behind the rocks ) . . . mind you , he didn't listen to me saying were gonna have to drive to the right by a couple of feet for the first section.

Had to laugh, got back to where he was , lop-sided into the ground, door un able to open, and 2 ft to the right of the door, is my fresh tyre track. I did point that out to which he said " ah, i see what you mean "

and then! out with the rope, me going billie-o pulling him out and not making anywhere near as much progress as i'd hoped , he finally gets dragged out onto solid ground. jumps out and exclaims.... "i suppose it might have helped if i had it in LOW when reversing eh?" :rolleyes:

Steve quit early . . . . mind you, a 90, no roof, no windows, in the rain .and Nic driving, who can blame him.

We left shortly after my major breakage . . . . my window wiper fell off onto the bonnet . . . . whilst i was parked. Who designed those stupid pins? Zip ties are great . . . and they now work better than before. . . . bonus.

Lastly, the locals weren't too friendly. The local cows ( proper coos, not just the local ned slapper ) didn't seem to take to us much. Had to retreat to inside the car at one point as they charged at us. <_<

And there was me thinking I'd be safe around Steve, as there wasnae any sheep.

all in good fun. now lookign forward to the forest drive.

Well Gregs RR seemed to be running fine last night.

Both the 2 RR's and the 90 performed brilliantly all round the site at Neilston.

Since he's not here i'll land him in it:

Greg got stuck doing the tree run ( the marshy bit that runs along behind the rocks ) . . . mind you , he didn't listen to me saying were gonna have to drive to the right by a couple of feet for the first section.

Had to laugh, got back to where he was , lop-sided into the ground, door un able to open, and 2 ft to the right of the door, is my fresh tyre track. I did point that out to which he said " ah, i see what you mean "

and then! out with the rope, me going billie-o pulling him out and not making anywhere near as much progress as i'd hoped , he finally gets dragged out onto solid ground. jumps out and exclaims.... "i suppose it might have helped if i had it in LOW when reversing eh?" :rolleyes:

Steve quit early . . . . mind you, a 90, no roof, no windows, in the rain .and Nic driving, who can blame him.

We left shortly after my major breakage . . . . my window wiper fell off onto the bonnet . . . . whilst i was parked. Who designed those stupid pins? Zip ties are great . . . and they now work better than before. . . . bonus.

Lastly, the locals weren't too friendly. The local cows ( proper coos, not just the local ned slapper ) didn't seem to take to us much. Had to retreat to inside the car at one point as they charged at us. <_<

And there was me thinking I'd be safe around Steve, as there wasnae any sheep.

all in good fun. now lookign forward to the forest drive.

Oi!

I was just following my co-drivers instructions!!! Dennis told me not to go too far right as it was boggy!

Once I was stuck he told me to try Reverse in High box, since low was having no effect! OK so I forgot to drop back into Low when I was getting pulled out but it probably wouldnt have helped!

Ho Hum.

Forest Drive tomorrow. Should be fun.