Dual battery charging relay

Hi All,

I have an M8000 fitted on my 90 with two batteries going under the passenger seat. Someone on the forum had mention using a fork lift truck relay to charge the second battery.

Does anyone know which relay it is or any other info.

Thanks

Mike

Why waste a battery on just starting the car, all the running load usually comes from the alternator (with winches being the exception as they will draw more than the alternator will supply).

You only need starting capability if you are very good at stalling it and then you won't need a fully charged battery.

I would just run the two batteries in Parallel, I think split charge systems are good if your second battery is a leisure type battery for running things like fridges.

They are not useful for running Winches, especially when you are running a 100Amp alternator (I think that you could melt a split charge relay that is not rated to your alternator output with a winch).

Not sure if I am missing the point but I put in an X-charge so that I can run radio (and inverter) off second battery without fear of having insufficient charge left in main battery to get started again. If straightforward parallel then lots of amp-hours certainly but you can still run the whole thing out out of juice without necessarily realising.

The split charge gives you that additional security which I reckon is well worth it.

• 2 weeks later...

2 big odyssey 1700 in my battery box, one runs the winch 7 other does everything else, no problems so far.

The 'standard' battery in my 110CSW doesn't leave a lot of room for a second decent sized one.

Maybe need to look for two batteries.

Cheers

SPD

I know two Odysseys will fit in the standard Land Rover battery box. I've seen it done. You will need a bas board to level things out.

As I consider the price oof that type of battery out of my price range. I modified my battery box to take an large Numax boat battery in there.

Modifying the battery box meant I could fit two fuse boxes and carry the jump leads in there as well.

I use a standard Lucas split charge relay.

mike