TD4 oil leak

Dorsetfreelander

Today, for the first time in a month or so, I lifted the bonnet on my 04 reg Freelander TD4 with 51K miles on the clock. I was surprised to see signs of an oil leak. The oil is black so is unlikely to be spillage from the last service. Any suggestions welcome on where to start or whatever, I have checked all of the nearby hose connectors for tightness. Incidentaly the engine seems to work fine.

Thanks Dennis

ps pictures attached

post-5249-125261374456_thumb.jpg

post-5249-125261376217_thumb.jpg

post-5249-12526137816_thumb.jpg

post-5249-125261379688_thumb.jpg

Hi

This is almost certainly from the air intake / manifold/ egr valve assembly. The oil is typical of the black gunge that clogs up this system over time.

Best to have a good clean up - remove the air intake assembly and the large rubber hoses. You will then be able to remove the EGR valve which is the thing in your first picture. Once off remove all the accumulated rubbish inside - be prepared for lots of mess and get some 'proper' degreaser (gunk or similar) and a stiff brush. Wash out till the valve is clean.

When refitting make sure all surfaces are as clean as poss and that none of the rubber hoses have a small split in them. The oil is carried in the air under pressure so even a small gap will cover everything!

And...good luck! You'll find she runs better when cleaned up. If you also do your own service (or not) ensure the crankcase depression limit (or crankcase filter) has been changed.

Hi

It does explain the thick black gunky oil. This is because the engine 'dumps' crankcase gas back into the air intake, exhaust gas re-circulation. This is to reduce emissions apparently.

Unfortunatly this spent air is often laden with oil particles which settle out wherever they can - in the egr itself, in the intercooler hoses and everywhere.Pop off a large hose and get a clean rag and you'll be amazed how much there is.

This then finds any small gap where air is allowed to escape - usually just the jubilee clips need tightening up. lots!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there,

I have been reading on the forum of the Freelander oil leak and just wondered if you could help, I have a Freelander TD4 Kalahari 03 plate with the same problem, leaking oil from the dipstick, its quite a large leak but definately coming from this area, I was hoping that you could give me the information for the part that was needed to repair this problem.

Kind regards

Claire

Hi there,

I have been reading on the forum of the Freelander oil leak and just wondered if you could help, I have a Freelander TD4 Kalahari 03 plate with the same problem, leaking oil from the dipstick, its quite a large leak but definately coming from this area, I was hoping that you could give me the information for the part that was needed to repair this problem.

Kind regards

Claire

If it's leaking from the dipstick it may be the PCV filter that needs changing. If it's blocked it could cause excessive pressure in the crankcase, which will cause a leak at the dipstick and could eventually cause the seals in the turbo to blow. The filter's about £15 from Fleabay and is situated just in front of the air filter. There is also a BMW part that replaces this filter with seperate chambers, ther's a thread on here somewhere about it.

If the oil is being forced up the dipstick tube I would get the PCV filter changed ASAP - my bro in law's Td4 lost all its oil and he had to replace the engine ( which had only done 70K at the time ) .

There was a spate of these problems around the time of his one but the problem is more widely recognised now (hopefully ) and filters are changed .

I had been looking up info on this and apparently BMW supply a filter which is considered more effective and less likely to block than the the LR one . You can only get it from BMW and these nos may help :

BC 10 32J1A 11 12 7 799 224 .

I got these nos. of a site and the item is described as a breather .