pressurised fuel tank?

Surely there should be a distinction between petrol and diesel here? It was my understanding that petrol always pressurises a sealed container - and it is called the 'vapour pressure'. I have a jerry can for petrol and one for diesel - alway pressure in the pertol one....

Good point, I'd forgotten about that :)

• 1 year later...

I'm having a similar problem on a 300tdi (1995 110), can this be caused by the same diaphragm fault?

I'm a bit reluctant to accept that it's the injector pump however, as:

(a) it pulls like a train and will cruise at 70 without an issue

(b) it returns about 30mpg

© the fuel pump was overhauled, serviced and refurbished about three months ago, so I'd hope the diaphragm was replaced or a fault spotted during that (there's been a pressure issue with the tank since I've had the vehicle - about a year)

(d) it barely smokes

(e) the pressure built up isn't as much as described above with caps being blown off and fuel spurting out, but diesel is being forced out through the vented cap during driving.

Also, the amount of diesel around the spout reduces as the fuel in the tank is used, so presumably the pressure is only enough to force fuel out when the tank's about half-full (or half-empty, depending on your point of view).

All help gratefully received.