A leak between the brake master and servo. What do I do now?

soutie

I concur with Western - and would also advise that you change the whole master cylinder.

Also expect to have to replace/remake some of the pipes too - if they haven't been disturbed for some time then you may find that the nut is corroded to the pipe and they twist off. Personally, I wouldn't start this job without having the facility to remake brake-pipes..

It's not a difficult job, but if you are at all unsure of how to do it then please seek help - you don't need me to tell you that it's important to do it right! :)

Roger

• 2 weeks later...

I got round to replacing the brake master cylinder today. Brake pipes and nuts holding the master to the servo were fine, but I had to use land rover no. 1 tool to persuade the master cylinder to budge. The leak had caused some rust on the body of both the master and servo and thus had to use gentle persuasion to get them apart.

I cleaned up the servo with some wet and dry paper and brake cleaner and then gave it a liberal does of wd40 before putting on the new servo.

I left the nuts on the brake pipes a bit loose so I could prime the master cylinder using the brake pedal. This did force me to pressure wash the engine bay a bit later on.

Using a pressure bleeder I bled the brakes and have now got brakes that are nice and firm and don't leak. In doing this job I did notice that the casting for the master cylinder is not all flush but is such that it will let brake fluid leak out if the seals do go.

Question: I got bubbles from all brakes but the most from the right hand front and rear. Is this normal?

Cheers

Peter

Front and rear are seperate circuits from the master cylinder. If you keep getting air in the system, then you still have a problem (master cylinder seals). Did you fit a new master cylinder and/or servo?

Air bubbles when bleeding can be caused by air getting into the thread of the bleed nipple, so there may be nothing wrong with your brakes - you only need to undo the nipple 1/2 turn when bleeding the system.

Les.