warn 6hp motors running 24v

dirtydiesel

Just to get really off topic, how about a smallish (about 1000 - 1500cc) diesel engine running through a CVT transmission, connected to a switchable front/rear transfer box then connected to drums at each end of the vehicle....... Relable, uber fast and independent of the driven engine. Now just build a vehicle to deliver said winch to the stuck situation and heah presto.

Bush, what alternatives to the XP motor do you have down under?

There are 7. something HP motors imported from USA. These were being used before coupling tandem XP motors was sorted out. Now the top winch challenge competitors are using tandem XP motors at 24V, or modified truck starter motors.

Hiya Bush,

These xp's are modified by silver soldering the joints, right?

And this seems to allow these motors use at 24 volt???

Very intrested in this, do they use one or two gearboxes?

Or is this justy personal taste?

Loads of questions :P

Cheers mate

Jim

Ps: what Bl**dy time is it down there???? Do you ever sleep?? :lol:

Hiya Bush,

These xp's are modified by silver soldering the joints, right?

And this seems to allow these motors use at 24 volt???

Very intrested in this, do they use one or two gearboxes?

Or is this justy personal taste?

Loads of questions :P

Cheers mate

Jim

Ps: what Bl**dy time is it down there???? Do you ever sleep?? :lol:

Yes.

Yes, but don't stall the motor :o

One gearbox. They mount the motors in tandem. Shaft from outboard motor is coupled to the commutator end of the inboard motor that mounts to the gearbox. The outboard motor bolts to a custom part that replaces the end cover of the inboard motor. I haven't seen inside to know exactly how they are coupled.

Two gearboxes have been used in past, but this method has its problems. The tandem arrangement works well after early problems were sorted out. My personal taste is hydraulic. I have some small Rexroth bent axis motors for my 8274s that are rated for 10000 rpm continuous and 11000 rpm peak. From memory (it was a while ago when I checked), at rated pressure and speed, they produce about 20kW.

It's just after 10pm here (GMT + 10 hrs). Unfortunately I only get about 4 good hours sleep each night.

I think I prefer Jim's setup; less load on the motor gear plus less localised loading of the case. Also, you're using a pair of standard motors as opposed to one standard, one modified. Its VERY smart engineering, though; at one point I thought about having simerlar kits made up.

I think I prefer Jim's setup; less load on the motor gear plus less localised loading of the case. Also, you're using a pair of standard motors as opposed to one standard, one modified. Its VERY smart engineering, though; at one point I thought about having simerlar kits made up.

Jim's dual motor arrangement has some good points and I congratulate him for producing it. In fact the pics have caused me to re-think how I am mounting my hydraulic motor (imagine 1 electric and 1 hyd motor on Jim's winch - both with free spool so that either can be used independantly).

It should do what Jim set out to achieve, and I'm not trying to knock it, but I believe that there will be dynamics involved (between the dual motors) that will increase the loads on the 1st reduction pinion/gear teeth above what you might be expecting.