Puzzling Oil Leak from Front of TD5 Bellhousing

EdF

I've had a few 90's, three of them TD5's. There's a gradually worsening drip (just started to leave marks on the ground) from the bottom of the bellhousing where it mates with the engine. I removed the drain plug there and nothing came out and what I could see of the clutch cover was spotless. The oil is clean, so it isn't engine oil.. Gearbox...? Maybe, I suppose.. But, on a previous identical model I owned, I'd taken the transfer gearbox out to send to Ashcrofts for a ratio change and that had an oil drip in the same place, so while I was about it I lifted off the main gearbox and bellhousing for a look-see. Nothing, it was all clean, and I suspect this one may be the same.. I never did find where the oil came from on that one. As the 90 is our only vehicle right now, I can't just take it off the road for a week and I'm a bit reluctant to do the work if it proves to be a waste of time.. I can't imagine where else the oil is coming from other than the gearbox, though.. Any ideas? Nothing obvious underneath... Can one rent/buy one of those probes with a light on for looking in small holes to see if there is a leak from the gearbox.. I expect you know what I mean...

Going to have a good look tomorrow, looks like regular oil not hydraulic fluid... A few months ago oil appeared in the same place and it was dripping down from the oil filter, which had come a bit loose. Isn't that now, though..

As for an endoscope (I remembered what it was called...), I found an industrial one here.. http://www.dartsystems.co.uk/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=58_117_123&products_id=781&zenid=7d0344a8f6949c1b5a4bbd09276a8823

...which for £51 could save a lot of work.. It connects to a laptop via USB, press a button on the handle and a picture appears on screen. A tiny camera and lights on the end of a probe which can be wiggled round corners. At 14mm, it may not go through the drain plug hole, though. Must check..

Going to have a good look tomorrow, looks like regular oil not hydraulic fluid... A few months ago oil appeared in the same place and it was dripping down from the oil filter, which had come a bit loose. Isn't that now, though..

Dont suppose its the last of the 'loose oil filter oil' thats finally found its way down is it ?

Dont suppose its the last of the 'loose oil filter oil' thats finally found its way down is it ?

No, that oil disappeared a while ago (above) and the filter is tight. Clutch slave is bone dry.

Just had a look, there was a drip of clean oil on the bellhousing casing next to one of the bottom bellhousing/engine bolt heads and a drip of dirty oil next to the other bolt head. Cleaned the area up, removed the drain plug and went for a quiet 3 mile run. On getting back, there was a drip of dirty oil in the same place, but no evidence of it 'running' from anywhere. Could the oil have travelled along the bolt and seeped out behind the bolt head, but it seems unlikely. What I don't know is, as it's the sump in front of the bellhousing there, does the threaded end of the bolt penetrate into the sump? Wouldn't have thought so, myself, and the bolt is VERY tight.. Nothing coming out of the drain plug hole. There's a bit of seepage around the sump/block joint but no sign of it being bad enough to run. Still a bit of a mystery. I wouldn't normally bother with it, but as it's bad enough to drip on the drive, it's a concern..

A techy was in the stealers' parts dept yesterday so I asked him if he had any ideas and he said, 'check the back of the rockerbox gasket, they always leak and drip down onto the bellhousing..' Not got to it yet, but it seems likely..

have simillar on our disco2.

oil dripping down somewhere from 'above' and down on to the crossmember and splattering about underneath.

was worried that a leaking fuel pressure regulator was to blame until i realised it was oil. There is also a breather pipe between the engine and bulkhead and i though it might be spewing out of that...but after cleaning the whole area and taking it for a spin, the end of the breather pipe is dry. So looks like its the rocker same as you.