Removing Tailgate Glass

Mean Green

How easy is it to remove the tailgate glass on a RRC?

What is the procedure?

The top tail on my 1990 RRC does not close properly and I have just found out why ... the tailgate has a curve in it!!

So I want to take the glass out... straighten the tailgate and replace the glass.

Any Tips?

How's it going Greg?

They mostly all end up like that and I don't know if you'll get the glass out without breaking either it or the frame.

Hi Deano. Going well at the moment.

I had a feeling that might be the case :(

Might give it a go sometime when I feel brave!!

You can take it out if you are careful.

Remove the support angles screwed on the inside of the frame after removing the remote locking.

Cut around the sealant both inside & out with a stanley knife.

Turn it over, inside down, on some thick old carpet or a matress, don't tell Laura I suggested that, and press down on the glass outside with as large a block of soft wood as you can fit in. Just work round the edges repeatedly till it starts to move. I helps if it's as warm as you can get it.

All that said I don't recommend you try straightening the frame. If it's bent or twisted it will be because of internal corrosion, no you can't bolt a sacraficial anode to it before you ask, chances are you will break what remains of the frame trying this. The only thing I can suggest is that you adjust the catches & striker bolts to get you a bit more life out of it till you are ready to replace it and then replace it with an all alloy one.

You can take it out if you are careful.

Remove the support angles screwed on the inside of the frame after removing the remote locking.

Cut around the sealant both inside & out with a stanley knife.

Turn it over, inside down, on some thick old carpet or a matress, don't tell Laura I suggested that, and press down on the glass outside with as large a block of soft wood as you can fit in. Just work round the edges repeatedly till it starts to move. I helps if it's as warm as you can get it.

All that said I don't recommend you try straightening the frame. If it's bent or twisted it will be because of internal corrosion, no you can't bolt a sacraficial anode to it before you ask, chances are you will break what remains of the frame trying this. The only thing I can suggest is that you adjust the catches & striker bolts to get you a bit more life out of it till you are ready to replace it and then replace it with an all alloy one.

Thank Niall,

To be honest the frame is in excellant condition. There is not a spot of rust on the outside. So if I could get the glass out I would be willing to give it a go.

Oh well will have a think about it.

I have got the glass out but not without damaging the frame. Have you tried closing the top with the bottom open? You may find it's the bottom out of adjustment that is stoping the top from closing correctly. The frames bend as the catches are on the edges and the handle is in the middle. Most will shut if you close with a hand each side rather than on the centre handle.

In reply to 'Any tips?' here's a couple...........

- Don't eat yellow snow

- If your asthmatic avoid breath taking views