Heated front screen

I looked into fitting a heated screen last year but diddnt as it wasnt high on the priorites.

Now the 110 is in bits i thought i would look into it again. Im shure when i looked last the price was £100-£150 although i cant remember who that was from. looking now the cheapest i can findis £220+. :angry:

Does anyone know a good supplier for the front screen or is it the case that the prices have rocketed in the year.

Cheers

Edd

I looked into fitting a heated screen last year but diddnt as it wasnt high on the priorites.

Now the 110 is in bits i thought i would look into it again. Im shure when i looked last the price was £100-£150 although i cant remember who that was from. looking now the cheapest i can findis £220+. :angry:

Does anyone know a good supplier for the front screen or is it the case that the prices have rocketed in the year.

Cheers

Edd

Try THESE GUYS - prices are a lot more realistic... ;)

Matt

Cheers for the link. Thats a more realistic price.

Ill sort out a write up including sorting the timer if people want. (just got to getthe 110 backk in one piece before i fit it.)

Can anyone recomend fitting tinted over clear? is it an improverment. if so ill try and get an idea of despatch time.

Edd

Ill sort out a write up including sorting the timer if people want. (just got to getthe 110 backk in one piece before i fit it.)

Can anyone recomend fitting tinted over clear? is it an improverment. if so ill try and get an idea of despatch time.

Edd

I have a top tint in mine (non heated) which really helps in spring and autumn when the sun can be low on the horizon.

John

Edd

I've a [LR Genuine Pilkington] green tinted heated screen in my 110 cos it's a County, but still need to wire it in, I've got the correct harness but it will need to be modified plus still need the proper timer relay too, one day I'll have it working :rolleyes:

I've a [LR Genuine Pilkington ]green tinted heated screen in my 110 cos it's a County, but still need to wire it in, I've got the correct harness but it will need to be modified plus still need the proper timer relay too, one day I'll have it working :rolleyes:

:lol: @ Ralph.

Well Ralph you are further on the I am.

I bought my heated screen BEFORE I bought the Defender.

I also have two timer relays.The switches and warning lights are fitted.

All I need to do is fit the screen the relays and the wiring.

It's a gunna job.

I eat rat poison

mike

I can cause trouble in an empty house !!!

• Like 1

• 6 years later...

further to my last reply in 2006 :wacko: this is on my 1989 110, so there are no earth switching wiring like the Td5 vehicles.

as I'm on a weeks holiday, thought it was time to get the front heated screen connected.

I have suitable on/off rocker switch with ON warming light

the timer relay PRC6796 as used in various range rovers

a 70amp relay

30amp fuse & hlder

screen is the 3 terminal variant, I know the centre terminal is Earth & outer terminals are 12v feeds to each side.

will my diagram below work ??? the 1000 dollar question.

what size wire should I get ? there is a auto elect supplier up the road, so wire/terminals shouldn't be any problem.

post-20-0-25416100-1340629952_thumb.jpg

• Ralph
  • Why the two relays ? Well two different relays.

I wired mine with two timer relays. One for right side. One for left side. I used one mom switch to fire both relays. Center tag to earth like you have.

Not had any problems YET

Wire. I used 28/0.030 for the pos and something heavy for the earth. The only reason I know the wire size is I correctly colour coded mine. One wire from each 'screen tag to each relay.,

Seen those Nick, as I've got all the components [relays/switch] just have to buy the wiring & fit, I'm OK with routing wires & connecting & crimping/soldering terminals.doubt the wires/terminals will cost as much as those kits. even with one of the kits, I still have to run the wires to their respective locations.

Ha! I've had mine in for three years now, I've bought a carling switch and thats as far as its got. Mines a two terminal jobby though and there aint much info on those...

Your diagram looks alright to me though.

further to my last reply in 2006 :wacko: this is on my 1989 110, so there are no earth switching wiring like the Td5 vehicles.

as I'm on a weeks holiday, thought it was time to get the front heated screen connected.

I have suitable on/off rocker switch with ON warming light

the timer relay PRC6796 as used in various range rovers

a 70amp relay

30amp fuse & hlder

screen is the 3 terminal variant, I know the centre terminal is Earth & outer terminals are 12v feeds to each side.

will my diagram below work ??? the 1000 dollar question.

what size wire should I get ? there is a auto elect supplier up the road, so wire/terminals shouldn't be any problem.

Ralph,

The diagram looks OK.

The only thing I would say, is that the warning light on the switch needs to be fed from terminal 87 on the 70A relay.

If your switch is the type where the warning light is fed internally from the switch's output terminal, it won't be suitable for this type of circuit.

On the 2002 Defender, with a 2 x terminal screen, Land Rover use 4.0mm2 as the supply and earth.

Having a screen with two heating zones, you can afford to make the supply to each live terminal from lighter gauge cable, as long as they both run all the way back to the source (terminal 87 of the 70A relay).

I would probably go for 2 x 3.0mm2 cables from terminal 87 of the 70A relay, running to each live terminal on the screen.

And the common earth from the middle terminal, in 6.0mm2.

Thanks Paul, that's a great help, :i-m_so_happy:

the warning light on the switch has it's own terminals, so I can connect as you suggest, it's a SWF/Britax http://www.furneauxr...r_Switches.html capable of switching 10amps continuously, I also use these to run worklights,amber beacon bar & the heated mirrors.

I'll run the screen power cables side by side to terminal 87 & join them at the relay end,

Ralph,

I've been looking at this again.

The switch warning light can be taken from terminal 8 of the timer relay (I'm not sure if that's what your diagram already shows :unsure: )

There's a thread that deals with wiring-up a heated windscreen, using PRC6796, here - http://forums.lr4x4....showtopic=19100

Post #6 has a wiring diagram for PRC6796, used with a 3 terminal windscreen - http://forums.lr4x4....06

Another thing that occurred to me was that your switch needs to be a momentary (non-latching) switch, and you need to momentarily switch terminal 5 of the timer relay to earth, to initiate the 8 minute timed operation.

I've just printed your info above, thanks again :i-m_so_happy:

on my diagram above the light wasn't connected to anything except earth.

my diagram above connects the light to Timer terminal 8 via 70 amp relay terminal 85 as that's the switched on power to energise both relays.

switch is a on/off manual latching type, should be able to get a momentary variant tomorrow.

as for terminal 5 on timer not sure how to get that to switch to earth, my 110 is the same model/year as yours so doesn't use the td5 switching to earth way of operating circuits.

I've just printed your info above, thanks again :i-m_so_happy:

on my diagram above the light wasn't connected to anything except earth.

my diagram above connects the light to Timer terminal 8 via 70 amp relay terminal 85 as that's the switched on power to energise both relays.

switch is a on/off manual latching type, should be able to get a momentary variant tomorrow.

as for terminal 5 on timer not sure how to get that to switch to earth, my 110 is the same model/year as yours so doesn't use the td5 switching to earth way of operating circuits.

It's easy icon_thumbup.gif

Ideally, your momentary switch needs to have separate terminals for the warning light's live and earth, i.e. - not connected to the switch's output.

Although, having said that, if the warning light is a bulb (and not an LED), it doesn't really matter if the warning light is internally connected to the switch's output, as you're taking the output to earth, so you just feed the warning light through the terminal that would normally be used as it's earth.

On the switch's switched terminals -

The input terminal goes to terminal 5 on the timer relay

The output terminal is earthed

So that, when you operate the switch, the wire from pin 5 on the timer relay is momentarily switched to earth.

I'm not sure if I've explained any of that clearly :blush:

I'll draw-up a couple of diagrams which will, hopefully, explain it a bit clearer.

warning light is a normal bulb type not led & has it's own terminals & is removable from the switch body, so no problem with that bit,

think I've got it now, anymore help very much appreciated,

I have a momentary switch on order, so that bit is sorted,

Edited by western

Got the cables I want on their way from Autosparks & bought spade/ring terminals this morning, so can't do any more until the new momentary switch & wires arrive, yet another week with a non connected heated screen, oh well it's been at least 5 years already so another week or 2 won't hurt :wacko: