Heated front screen

new 70amp relay fitted & the wiring adjustment made, switched on & tested, all working as it should even the timer 8 minutes operates correctly,

The final wiring diagram [as fitted to my 1989 110CSW will appear here shortly]

Thank you very much to all who assisted with this little project :i-m_so_happy: it's only taken me nearly 8 years to complete :hysterical:

Well done Ralph. Would appreciate that diagram to do mine. I picked up the timer relay recently on Ebay but unsure if it will work or not.

May sound silly but how do you test the screen? will it get hot to touch when on?

Other question is switch related. I was going to use a standard on/off Carling switch but maybe I need one of the momentary ones? I was hoping to use an off/on/on one and run the 2nd circuit with my heated mirrors to.

what do you think

Cheers,

G

I've just uploaded the final wiring diagram in my post above,

if you use the LR PRC6976 timer it needs a momentary switch, my heated mirrors are on a seperate switch as is the rear heated window [LR standard fit]

I'm sure PaulMc would advise the best switch type to use.

I bought another timer relay last week, but seems it's not working, the timer now fitted I bought via ebay years ago, swapped the suspect item & all functioned OK,

you can put a multimeter on the screen terminals to test for voltage when all the wiring is done, engine must be running to energise the circuit/timer

hth :i-m_so_happy:

new 70amp relay fitted & the wiring adjustment made, switched on & tested, all working as it should even the timer 8 minutes operates correctly,

Thank you very much to all who assisted with this little project :i-m_so_happy:

it's only taken me nearly 8 years to complete :hysterical:

The final wiring diagram [as fitted to my 1989 110CSW] attached.

Well done Ralph icon_thumbup.gif

I'm sure PaulMc would advise the best switch type to use.

For the heated windscreen circuit above, any live-switching momentary switch (with a separately wired 'tell-tale') is suitable.

If you have a 2002 onwards Defender, there's a factory switch that will do the job - YUG000460LNF

yug000460lnf.jpg

It's not too dear either :)

For heated door mirrors, if you don't have the room for a separate switch, then you could wire them from the heated rear window circuit, as they do on Range Rovers and Discoverys.

For the heated windscreen circuit above, any live-switching momentary switch (with a separately wired 'tell-tale') is suitable.

If you have a 2002 onwards Defender, there's a factory switch that will do the job - YUG000460LNF

yug000460lnf.jpg

It's not too dear either :)

For heated door mirrors, if you don't have the room for a separate switch, then you could wire them from the heated rear window circuit, as they do on Range Rovers and Discoverys.

Thanks Paul. Mine is a 300tdi and running Mudstuff Dash and Carling switches. Looking at MS would the off/mom (for rear foglight) switch do it?

http://www.mudstuff.co.uk/Carling_Switches.shtml looks like the 'indicator' light on stays on whilst the separate relay is energised. Did I read that correct?

Will put a seperate switch in for the mirrors. Should I use another off/mom switch? and can I piggyback off the front screen timer?

Cheers,

G

Thanks Paul. Mine is a 300tdi and running Mudstuff Dash and Carling switches. Looking at MS would the off/mom (for rear foglight) switch do it?

http://www.mudstuff...._Switches.shtml looks like the 'indicator' light on stays on whilst the separate relay is energised. Did I read that correct?

Will put a seperate switch in for the mirrors. Should I use another off/mom switch? and can I piggyback off the front screen timer?

Cheers,

G

Yes, it looks as though the Off/Mom Fog Light Switch is the one you want -

http://www.mudstuff....fog-switch.html

Off-Mom (Fog)

Momentary spring loaded 1-way rocker switch.

This switch replaces the standard momentary rear fog lamp switch fitted in late model Land Rover Defenders.

This switch differs from the regular off-mom switch in that it has an extra feed from the fog lamp relay in order to maintain 'On' illumination when the switch is released.

If you use a separate switch for the heated mirrors, then you can't piggy-back them off of the screen timer, as this will also power the heated screen.

If you want the heated mirrors on a separate timed circuit, you'll have to use a dedicated timer relay for them, as well as another switch (as above) and 30A relay (you wouldn't need a 70A relay for heated mirrors).

You could just connect the heated mirrors so that they were on at the same time as the heated screen.

Three pages to fit a switch and a relay. OH ! what did I do wrong with mine to have it done without all this fuss ?? LOL

To test if a heated 'screen is working, switch it on, wait a bit then breath on the inside of the screen, You will see the mist from your breath clear if it's working properly.

The heated 'screen should be on a timer. Not so the mirrors because the mirrors need to be on a lot longer than the 'screen.

Heated mirrors are great for clearing rain from them.

• 2 months later...

found a bit more info on my heated screen system today ------------------

had the front screen switched on on way home from work as it was a bit misted inside, wondered if I could switch it off before the timer ran the full 8 minutes,

so I gave the momentary switch a prod & it switched the light/timer off, :i-m_so_happy: bonus.

just thought it would be useful info for others.

Sirocco

Switch the 'screen on, wait a bit until is should be heated. Then breathe onto the inside glass. you should see the breath on the 'screen fade out.

I wonder if that i'll work with my switch. I find my 'screen stays on 10 to 12 minutes, more than enough normally to fully demist the 'screen.

• 5 weeks later...

bringing this back to the top.

What is the purpose of the oil pressure switch feed on the timed relay? I understand the ignition live etc.

Also, I am using the Carling Off/mom fog switch which has the usual power in, power out and also another feed 'to relay' with an extra earth feed next to it.

So which pins on the timer need the power out and relay. I know its 8 and 5 but just wondering which way around they go.

Nearly there...

bringing this back to the top.

What is the purpose of the oil pressure switch feed on the timed relay? I understand the ignition live etc.

Also, I am using the Carling Off/mom fog switch which has the usual power in, power out and also another feed 'to relay' with an extra earth feed next to it.

So which pins on the timer need the power out and relay. I know its 8 and 5 but just wondering which way around they go.

Nearly there...

It's to stop the "normal" driver switching the 'screen on without the engine running. 'Cos you'll flatten the battery very very quickly.

as above, rear screen heater has the VSS [voltage sensitive switch] in the circuit for the same job, front screen needs at least 30amps even though a 70amp relay is fitted, it's protected by a 30amp fuse.

this might help http://www.devon4x4.com/index.php?option=com_phocadownload&view=category&download=38:carling-switch-wiring-pinouts&id=6:wiring-diagrams&Itemid=36

It's to stop the "normal" driver switching the 'screen on without the engine running. 'Cos you'll flatten the battery very very quickly.

I thought that was the job of the ignition live feed. I guess its just another connection.

So I tested the screen with the on/off switch 1st and it was working well so set about putting the timer in today (hungover in the rain/sleet) got all connections in except the oil pressure switch feed.

What puzzles me is the need for big wire, then the screen connections are just a regular spade terminal! My cable is pretty thick (60a) so I had to cut it down a bit to make the connection.

Where is the best place to take the feed on the oil pressure? I had a look for the white/brown (300tdi) cable running back towards the bulkhead but its all hidden in the loom :( does it go to the starter relay? It was getting dark and I couldn't quite see it.

G

I didn't bother with the oil pressure feed.

I relied on my common sense NOT to switch the 'screen on until I'd started the engine.....As the timer switches off when the ign is switched off and won't switch on again until the timer is switched I saw no point.

Yes I agree over the wire and the standard piddling 6.4mm Lucar connector.

Not had any problems with mine though.

The timer runs well past the time the 'screen is cleaned off.

the ignition feed powers the timer unit & 70amp relay once the timer is switched on then it heats the screen.

took my oil pressure signal from the oil pressure warning light wiring behind instrument pack.

if your using the LR timer unit it has a 8 minute operating time, but can be switched off by operating the switch again, found this out a few weeks ago & posted it in this thread.

Right, this is one for the electric guru's here.

My relay and timer are wired as Western's diagram with exception to the Oil Pressure Feed. I am using an Off/Mom Carling switch (fog). I know the wiring is correct and working for the relay but I suspect the timer is duff.

So, do I need to wire in the Oil Pressure Feed for it to work? or would the relay work without it? I would have thought it would work without it but I may be wrong?

Let me know before I drop more £££££ on a new relay! (or give up and go for an on/off switch) :D

G