Greasable bolts ?

moose

Was trawling the web looking at online shops in the US and came across these..

post-1650-125423853406_thumb.jpg

thought they would be a perfect solution for the lower radius and trailing links when using poly type bushes..

bit of grease now and then would(might) stop the bush insert some times welding its self to the bolt making them a pain <_< to change in the field.

Is this a good idea?

any one know a supplier in this country who would do land rover size?

Hollow bolts are fine if the conntiiton is designed with their use in mind. Retro fitting them to a connection not designed for them would be a bad idea in my opinion unless you can demonstrate that the replacement bolt is stronger than the bolt it replaces. Even then, given the reports of them failing, I don't think I would bother. I just pull the bolts "every so often" :ph34r: and re-grease them with copperslip,

• 1 month later...

I think it's a very strange idea for use with the Johnny Joints. When using with bushes you want the assembly to rotate at the bolt/bush sleave interface, but in a joint application you want the assembly to rotate in the joint, so geasing the bolt shouldn't have any advantage.

This type of bolt is good for leaf spring applications, where bush movement is key to flex, but for all the reasons given above I wouldn't use one with a joint.

Moosey, I've never had a problem with just copper slipping everything when you put it together, maybe you don't take enough care when you build your junk?

(I know, at least you have junk and so on....)

We use these at work for non load bearing applications. OR sometimes for hard to reach places we unscrew a bolt, stick one of these in, grease the shaft or whatever it is behind, then put the normal bolt back in ;)

G