another roll cage question

series3_mad

im think about making a roll cage for my landy but i have no idea on how to mount the front hoop legs to the front outriggers because of where they sit behind the bulkhead do i just put a bend in the tube and then weld it to the outrigger??

so can anyone give me some ideas on how to do it

Nope.

If I understand what your thinking hear it would make it a weak cage.

You need to extend / change the outriggers so that they offer some sort of mounting surface for the cage to come down onto to and be then either welded or bolted.

See the Post on cage making in the Tech section.

Without wishing to dampen your plans, bending tubes and getting the tubework both close enough to the shape you ultimately loking for, and also symetrical side to side, along with the fish mouths and welding etc is a skilled job.

If you think it will be chaep if you do it, forget it, and if you equally think of the time you plan it to take you multiply it by 4

Seriously if any of the above means you go "er" then either pay someone to have it done, or buy an off the shelf cage

Prob not what you want to hear, but do belive me when I say it is FACT :o

Nige

I bent a tube once by filling it with sand, welding end caps on and using the LR to tow one end round a steel bollard in the street. It worked remarkably well.

The next one was made from scaffold using a hired tube bender. My friend & I made two cages in two days - fairly basic hoops rather than full externals.

Worth having a chat with Chris above though - you will save yourself a lot of time, money, angst and blisters and end up with something that doesn't look like it belongs in a childrens play park or the Tate Modern!

Si

On my series I cut the existing bulkhead outriggers off and welded new ones on in front of the bulkhead as on a defender. Then mounted the front hoop onto these. Tonk did the same on his series.

Jon

its the only proper way to put support into the front hoop, i had brackets welded from original outriggers at first but was never really convinced so changed outriggers to infront of the bulkhead to be sure