To Truck cab or Not too truck cab?

I bought a truck cab a while ago with the intention to remove my CSW top and pop the truck cab roof on. The thing that puts me off actually doing it is the storage side, Even though my last series was a TC......although i never drove too far in it!

The plan was too fit the TC and put a Cage over it.

I use the 90 mainly as a toy so i dont need to cart people about just recovery gear and tools which are all easy enough to store as per the thread in the tech section,

but I do like to travel up to wales for offroad trips/Seven sisters ect and I can see that keeping camping equipment dry on trips will be a problem.

My main reason for wanting to go to TC is I keep clobbering the top of the roof on my CSW and before long im going to smash one of the alpine windows which are mega£££'s for what they are also it can be a sod to manover round in tight spaces/wooded areas. The second reason is how expensive full cages are for Full hard tops.

Another thought was to sell the TC on get a Hard top roof without alpine windows and put up with doing plenty of 36 point turns. And save lots of money and buy either a full external cage or part external part internal. :unsure:

Dave.

Been there...well still there!

I converted the 90 to TC and kept the SW roof for the "trip of a life" (when????) to Nordkapp or Northern Europe anyway, I'm fitting an ancient Series gate so there's no need to swap rear door, just plop the roof complete on the tub and bolt it on...

I never fitted the SW roof again (no will at all) and having the luggages in the back under rain is annoying...I bought 2x profi waterproof bags (used on boats or something like that) which keep the clothes etc dry, but the rear winch gets the rain and snow, and the room in the cab remains almost non-existent...

North Offroad made me a SW cage (yet a work in progress) with a "bolt-on" rear section to make swap easier...

I think the best is a soft top in the end, roll it for fun and leave it in place when it rains...

:huh:

You could make a king cab as they seem to get called. I used my hardtop roof and cut a big chunk out of the middle then stitched the back part back on. Does require some work of course but I had the same concerns as you. I use mine for comps and hardtop got clobbered and poor visibility. I didn't want TC though as uncomfortable to drive as seat even more upright and I wanted to be able to store some stuff inside due to weather/security issues. I now have around 20cm behind the bulkhead before the end of the roof so this is enough space to stick in personal gear, sleeping bags etc. I then just keep recovery gear, waffles etc outside.

You can make tidier king cabs using truck cab parts and either extending the roof panel or using double cab roof but I didn't have those or the money to get them.

i changed to a truck cab an wouldnt go back (off road its soo much easier)

storage wise i have a ivor pig top (got it off here for £50 which is about going rate)then have that on keeps everything dry and take it off for off roading

you can easily chop and mod the pig top to fit around a cage which is my plan :)

dave

post-4332-125510122989_thumb.jpg

Alternatly acquire a Large 'Zarges' type box and throw your camping/personal kit in that when you go somewhere. They are water and dust proof, but means you can just lift off you personal kit and leave the recovery gear in place.

The 'stuff getting wet' problem can easily be solved by putting a load cover of some sort on :)

The lashing things just rivet around the edge tub.

Only probelm with that one is the roll cage would make it very difficult to fit with the rear stays and rear hoop, otherwise I wouldnt of hesitated.

As for the Ifor 'pig top' that may well fit with a cage jacks906 have you any pictures from the back?

Dave.

Alternatly acquire a Large 'Zarges' type box and throw your camping/personal kit in that when you go somewhere. They are water and dust proof, but means you can just lift off you personal kit and leave the recovery gear in place.

Mark any photos of such a thing? So i know what im looking for?

Cheers

Dave

I had a Truck cab and hated it

so got a H/T yes it gets banged about but at least the vehicle has more than one use for me.

A valid point. You need to look at what you'll be using the vehicle for. Purely an off-roader then I'd say truck cab, anything else than a hard-top makes more sense.

My 90 is used as an off-roader and general vehicle too, but I have a Focus for 'normal car' duties, so the truck cab suits me well.

Its a 2nd car so the only other thing I use it for is walking the dogs as it saves my springer caking the 'normal' car in mud :lol:

Ive just seen another king cab in the Forsale section which tempts me to do that........oh the posabilities!

Dave.

I was considering this conversion recently but came across a potential problem that might not effect everone.

I live in south wales and use the severn bridge regulally and a land rover with windows in the back is regarded as a car but a truck cab or van top are regarded as commercial vehicules and as such cost twice as much to cross the bridge. Just something to think of if you live on the right side of offa's dyke

I only travel over too Wales once or twice a year in the landy so thats not a problem, I bit the bullet yesterday and changed it over still not 100% sure on it but, Today at Hogmoor common I found visability much better less catching the top on trees and much easyier access to recovery gear. On the downside driving there was much less comfy :(

Dave.