What size tyres can I fit (D2)

sweety

Well we're going to replace the road tyres on our D2 V8 auto prob for some Grabber AT2's. At the min the tyres are 255/65R16 & would like to fit slightly larger tyres for a bit more ground clearance with out affecting the gearing to much & hopefully gain me a bit more MPG. Would rather not have to start trimming stuff just yet :rolleyes: I do some green laning & sadly quiet a bit road

255/70R16 will fit if you want taller - I have that size on mine (though mine are BFG ATs) and no clearance problems plus it (just) fits on the back door without modification.

245/75R16 are another option which are a bit taller and not quite as wide, depends on what you want.

... would like to fit slightly larger tyres for a bit more ground clearance with out affecting the gearing to much

I currently have BFG AT's 245/70 that won't last much longer.

After much research I will be putting on Bridgestone Dueller AT D694 245/75. Going any bigger would affect the gearing too much IMHO.

hello

dont want to hi-jack this thread but on my D2 which i have just bought i have 255x55rx18 tyres, i was hoping to go to 19" wheels and tyres

1) is there any point?

2) what wheel and tyres would fit?

3) if i stay with the 18" wheels can i fet wider and taller tyres ON ROAD USE ONLY (for now)

many thanks

1) only if you want bling and/or a ride that will shake all your fillings out!

2) probably not a lot - but the equivalent size in height and width for 19in rims would be 255/50R19 if they exist in anything suitable - but its not a size I have ever seen (not that I have particularly looked, but I do sell tyres for a living among other things)

3) only a little bit - there is a 255/60R18 which is a little taller - most of the bigger 18in sizes you can buy almost certainly won't fit as they are quite a lot bigger

1) only if you want bling and/or a ride that will shake all your fillings out!

2) probably not a lot - but the equivalent size in height and width for 19in rims would be 255/50R19 if they exist in anything suitable - but its not a size I have ever seen (not that I have particularly looked, but I do sell tyres for a living among other things)

3) only a little bit - there is a 255/60R18 which is a little taller - most of the bigger 18in sizes you can buy almost certainly won't fit as they are quite a lot bigger

Bogmonster

many thanks for this information its what i need, i do not want to bling the motor just have a good set of wheels

from your info i will be staying with the 18" wheels and now finding what are the best (affordable) tyres i can get........................again many thanks

Personally if I had a D2 on 18s I'd change them for a set of good 16in alloys - better tyre choice, cheaper tyres and a better ride. And I actually think the vehicles with 18s have odd steering, I have driven a couple and they seem to tramline horribly and I don't get any of that on mine (std 16x7 alloys with BFG AT 255/70R16).

As for tyres - Grabber AT2 are a good option and available in both the original 255/55R18 and the slightly bigger 255/6018 size as well as a bunch of good sizes for 16in rims if you decide to "offer somebody with 16s a free upgrade" :)

Back to the OPs question yes I think 265/70R16 would be ok as I know people with 265/75R16 which is a bit taller and only requires slight mods to the front wheelarch/bumper area.

I have 255/70/16 General Grabber At2s on my D2. I have found that it has affecting the gearing too much, my engine wasn't in the best shape and the change has sapped the remaining power. Now with a full de-choke, cleaned inlet, intercooler, EGR kit and full service I've returned the performance to where is was on the 235/70/16s previously fitted.

The fuel ecconomy dropped before I did the engine work too, due to it working harder all the time.

The off road performance has been totally transformed though, and the engine needed the work anyway!

Mine goes fine but then I have a proper engine :lol::ph34r:

you mean one of them silly V8 autos that actually feels slower than my tweaked td5 manual?

Just given the father outlaw back his v8 D2 that he loaned me whilst my 90 had a clutch change, and the drive back in the wifes td5 D2 was much more enjoyable (except for the noise, i'll grant you that).

tweaked td5 launches forward with less fuss and more ooomph than the v8 auto at just about every speed above 30mph. Under 30mph is comes down to clutch and gearchange, but the auto will always win in that scenario.

Sorry :(

oh, both the D2's above are on 255/65/16 all terrains (coopers on ours, AT2 on his). Good size but do tramline a little bit imho. I think when the coopers are worn out i'll replace them 245/75 and see if the slightly narrower tyre works better.

I can't claim to have much positive experience in tweaked Td5s - all tbe ones I have driven have been broken in one way or other except for a Defender I drove in UK about five years ago and that was on 35in Simex so didn't really give a good road performance :)

Wouldn't swap mine for anything unless somebody would invent a TDV6 that didn't break all the time and manage to shoehorn it into a D2 chassis. The V8 is no longer the fastest thing off the block but feelgood means more to me than numbers.

Anyway we digress, back on topic ... this thread isn't meant to be about whether one makes the choice to drive round in a (bigger) cloud of smoke or waft along with a delicious noise soothing one's troubles :)

I wonder if the tramlining is due to the low profile as I have no problems with mine but both the 18in D2 tyres, and the 18in D3 tyres, seem to suffer quite noticeably despite only being the same width as mine.

I have just fitted a set of 265/65/18 BFG all terrains on my D2. It has the egr removed and straight through downpipe and centre pipe so has a bit more torque off idle but I am carefull pulling away as they are about 8% larger in rolling diameter. I will get a 'stage one' (not major) tweak done on the ecu as the money comes free ( could be a while ....)

I haven't trimmed any of the body work but have adjusted the steering stops accordingly, not that much actually. I haven't been off road yet so can not comment how the clearance is going to be at full articulation. If I get it really clagged up then things may get a little bit auto-adjusted..... only time will tell. If you want any photos let me know.

Cheers,

Phil.

Sorry if it seems like Im hi-jacking but Ive been offered 255/70/16 at2's for a good price, im just wondering, what difference will it make to my speed and fuel consumption?? I currently have 245/75/16 colway mud terrains on (were on the car) but i dont use it off road enough to warrant mud terrains, theyre sapping fuel and are noisy as hell!!!

thanks!

Sorry if it seems like Im hi-jacking but Ive been offered 255/70/16 at2's for a good price, im just wondering, what difference will it make to my speed and fuel consumption?? I currently have 245/75/16 colway mud terrains on (were on the car) but i dont use it off road enough to warrant mud terrains, theyre sapping fuel and are noisy as hell!!!

thanks!

If they are a good price I would be 'grabbing' them quickly as AT²'s are a great tyre. Re the size, they should be ok but you might need to adjust the steering stops a tad to stop them catching. I would fit them and see - only takes 5 mins to do the adjustment IF you have to.