Rear view camera and monitor.

oap

Im thinking about closing off the back of my 110 hardtop before the winter so it will be faster to heat the cab and it should make it a little quiter also. The only draw back that I can see is the rear view mirror will be usless then. So Im considering getting a rear view camera and monitor, there are hundreds of different kinds on ebay and I like the ones where the monitor clips over the mirror. Has anyone any advice on what to get or what to avoid? Any help or advice appreciated thanks. :unsure:

Erm ... a sheet of perspex included in the closing off process?

There is a thread on here somewhere about a rear view camera install, by SimonR I think, try a search.

Thanks for the reply, I have seen a few with the perspex in and I just dont like how they turned out. Iv done a search but failed to find any thread about this so far.

I have a Defendewr 110 SW. There is no interior mirror fitted. I don't have any problems without it. The outside mirrors are more than adequate.

mike

Im sure you dont Mike but the station wagon has more glass than a greenhouse where as the hardtop is like driving with blinkers on even with the rear view mirror.

Erm ... a sheet of perspex included in the closing off process?

There is a thread on here somewhere about a rear view camera install, by SimonR I think, try a search.

I remember one, was a 110 or 130, posted i cant remember... was a white defender... stripy bumper possibly? had a connection to add the trailer camera.

Might have been a tree surgeon?

Probably not much help... I'l try and find it if i can!

I remember one, was a 110 or 130, posted i cant remember... was a white defender... stripy bumper possibly? had a connection to add the trailer camera.

Might have been a tree surgeon?

Probably not much help... I'l try and find it if i can!

HMMM trailer camera :o Cheers Ill try and find it.

Must admit I've been looking at them recently. I have a CSW and have no probs with the mirrors and normal reversing, trouble is parking, think I'm about to hit car behind, get out and there's still 4ft to go! Would be handy for hitching trailers too. Plus it's another toy to play with :lol:

Been looking here - http://www.parkingcameras.com/store/home.php

Must admit I've been looking at them recently. I have a CSW and have no probs with the mirrors and normal reversing, trouble is parking, think I'm about to hit car behind, get out and there's still 4ft to go! Would be handy for hitching trailers too. Plus it's another toy to play with :lol:

Been looking here - http://www.parkingcameras.com/store/home.php

Thanks for the link Sean its better than any Iv seen on Ebay. I often have a trailer of timber behind me and no wing mirror is going to let me see how thats behaving after miles of country roads.

we fit vision alert cameras at work these are about 200 a piece but also have a sound facility good clear picture but not the best in direct sunlight,chris.

I would like to know where you draw the power from and how much it takes to run?

My father has one of those 7" rear mirror color TFT-displays in his camper, and it´s a piece of ****. I just can´t remember a make of if, but it was not a cheap one. It doesn´t show actual colors, just shades of red and green. The picture itself is sharp though. Of course the picture quality depends a lot of the camera itself. Maybe the color problem is due to the night view capability, because it looks just the same than in the dark! Just wanted to let you know, there doesn´t seem to be a way to test the combination beforehand to make sure of the quality. I bet that those real expensive ones used in the buses and big campers are very good...

Thanks Gazelle thats a big help, dont know why but when I did a search this did not come up.

Finding them using the forum search did not bring the last one up even though I could remember it well as an interesting thread.

I used a site:forums.lr4x4.com search in Google, which tends to work better. It is always better to try both!

Martin