seat rails

del

Just wondering has anyone tried the new seat rails avalible from craddocks that are suppost to give you an extra 4" leg room,do they work? were does that legroom come from if youve already got the seat back as far as it goes? Does it raise you up cause then my knees would hit the steering wheel :huh:

Why not make some spacers that raise the seat enough to clear the lip? Surely you'd only need some box section or thick steel.

I did. Had some 3/4" square box "in stock" (knew it would be useful one day). Job done in an hour, and now I can see over the steering wheel!

I just turned four steel spacers 25 dia, I think, x 25 long with a clearance hole for the screw and painted them in silk black. Been in there for a few months now and look just like they are OE fitting.

Did the 25mm lift allow you to recline the seat back much more?

Might have a play with some washers first then get some spacers made up it works.

Hi,

Just thought I would let you know what I have done, Purchased from B&Q they sell 1 Inch box section in metre lengths @ £8.74, two ways I have done this firstly take out the seat bottom and measure from the lip at the bottom of the bulkhead to front of seat box and cut, drill two holes in the box section where the seat already bolts and put it back together, this give me an extra two inches travel and raises the seat by an inch which also lets you tilt the seat back a little more. Second method is two cut the metre section straight in half and remove a 1 inch piece on the the lip of bulkhead, this allows for the box to be mounted an inch further back giving you another inch of travel backwards, but does restrict the tilt on the seat back if you fully use the travel.

Cheers Paul

no, but you can get a kit to allow you to remove the bulkhead but still retain the strength.

Ridgeback, the post by Aragorn was for you.... Please read responses and there is likely to be no further need to ask again !

Unless you remove the bulkhead the seat will not recline any more.

The rails do as Ralph said, they allow you to move the seat back further as well as adding a few cms more legroom just by lifting the seat up.

Neil

Ridgeback, the post by Aragorn was for you.... Please read responses and there is likely to be no further need to ask again !

Unless you remove the bulkhead the seat will not recline any more.

The rails do as Ralph said, they allow you to move the seat back further as well as adding a few cms more legroom just by lifting the seat up.

Neil

I did read his responce to my question " does the Mud rail give you any more room to recline the seat back.?"

Part1cle then offered another possible way round the problem not using the "mud rail" so IMHO my second question was Perfectly reasonable?

Based on the fact that the bulkhead is tapered,I was thinking that if you lift the height of the seat rails, you might get a small amount of extra movement.

I thought the idea of the forum was for Land Rover owners to swap ideas and help each other, not count the number of questions asked?

Did the 25mm lift allow you to recline the seat back much more?

Might have a play with some washers first then get some spacers made up it works.

Apologies for the late reply - I like a fairly upright seat back anyway, my real reason was to get a little more seat height, I might go up a few mm more yet. The seat is back as far as it can go as it's back is against the bulkhead, I think there might be a bit more movement on the runners and going up may let it go back a little. I was quite surprised how much difference 5 mm made.

It's worth experimenting with some washers, you can always use longer screws/bolts. The rail fixing screws on mine were quite long anyway.

Cheers, H.

Apologies for the late reply - I like a fairly upright seat back anyway, my real reason was to get a little more seat height, I might go up a few mm more yet. The seat is back as far as it can go as it's back is against the bulkhead, I think there might be a bit more movement on the runners and going up may let it go back a little. I was quite surprised how much difference 5 mm made.

It's worth experimenting with some washers, you can always use longer screws/bolts. The rail fixing screws on mine were quite long anyway.

Cheers, H.

Thanks for that Part1cle.

I will give it a go over the weekend and with a bit of luck will find a height that works for me.