Play steering box - tighten?

When my steering box is in center there is no or little play, but when I turn the wheels full either way there is quite a lot of play. Will tighten the steering box help?

No. There is supposed to be a slightly increasing amount of play as you go further on each lock. The box is 'tightest', when adjusted properly in the central (straight ahead position). Tightening it further so it is tight at either lock will create a tight spot in the centre and advance wear in the box - you will then find it difficult to steer through from one lock to the other.

When is it wobbly? If it is in the straight ahead position travelling along a straight road then i dont suppose it is the box as it sounds adjusted properly.

This comes up every now and then.

It was discussed as part of this thread:

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=46579&view=&hl=steering

Hybrid from Hell put a fairly comprehensive list of what to check up about half way down the page.

It's only wobbly when cornering. I had the same problem on my Disco so I've gone through the checklist before :)

So far I've changed all the balljoints including the drop arm from the steering box. Next will be a preload check.

It's only wobbly when cornering. I had the same problem on my Disco so I've gone through the checklist before :)

So far I've changed all the balljoints including the drop arm from the steering box. Next will be a preload check.

check the arm that runs across the chassis rail and is attached to it (next to the steering box) is done up tight.