Sign in to follow this  
siearl

Running Problems

I have a 99 S Plate 1.8 three door, the freelander has been parked up since the beginning of the month due to a knee operation, my neighbour has moved it a few times for me to keep it running but said that when you go to pull away it feels like it is holding back, after about half a mile to a mile this clears and it drives fine, i today have been out in it to see if i am fit to drive (ie does it hurt to do an emergancy stop) and i have found this also it seems to rev properly but it seems to be struggling to get up speed, Before it was parked up it had just had new front discs and pads and also a service,

Has anyone got any ideas.

I have a 99 S Plate 1.8 three door, the freelander has been parked up since the beginning of the month due to a knee operation, my neighbour has moved it a few times for me to keep it running but said that when you go to pull away it feels like it is holding back, after about half a mile to a mile this clears and it drives fine, i today have been out in it to see if i am fit to drive (ie does it hurt to do an emergancy stop) and i have found this also it seems to rev properly but it seems to be struggling to get up speed, Before it was parked up it had just had new front discs and pads and also a service,

Has anyone got any ideas.

Hi Siearl,

Have you driven it for a while and then jumped out and felt the back brakes for heat? They could be binding up. Or next time it is taken out once it is driving without struggling park it up without handbrake on (put chocks to the wheels of course) If it drives away without the problem of struggling it could be that. Or it could be the VCU locking up and you are getting transmission wind up I had a 98 diesel Freelander in about a year ago that had the VCU doing that and then coming good but it did so with a bang or loud metallic click in the IRD unit. Both had to be replaced. So lets hope its the brakes

Thatnks i was thinking it may be the brakes binding, will try feeling them for heat, it is not going with a loud bang or click so fingers crossed on that one