side facing seats can they be safe!!

Simple answer is no - the loading in an accident would be all wrong, with side facing seats.

You could fit the fancy side mounted but forward facing ones from a much later CSW, with the integral seatbelts?

Or just do as countless others have done since 1948, and throw the kids in the back and forget. I went miles on the bare aluminium wheelboxes when i was little :D

Roland

Simple answer is no - the loading in an accident would be all wrong, with side facing seats.

You could fit the fancy side mounted but forward facing ones from a much later CSW, with the integral seatbelts?

Or just do as countless others have done since 1948, and throw the kids in the back and forget. I went miles on the bare aluminium wheelboxes when i was little :D

Roland

Thanks roland i have to put 6 seats in the back of a land rover (we have no telly in our House!) and i can not find away to make it happen!

Dont really know whether they are safe or not. Depends on whether you think they have become unsafe because the govenrment suddenlt decided they were! The government says they are not, but they say and change a lot of things! Like someone else said, i spent an awful lot of time on them when i was a child! That said, you simply have to consider the legalities of carrying children in these seats these days.

The trouble with any type of the available harnesses is that they are all meant to be fitted to seats that face forward. Any fitted to inward facing seats are not as effective as they are not fitted as the manufacturers intended. You also have the issue that it might not be legal to carry children in these seats. You should try searching for this as MOG suggests, but the search facility on the forum is really not that great - i use it frequently and get hundreds of unrelated results - i think this is why people ask questions that have been covered before. The best way is to search on google with LR4x4 in you search query.

You should never use a seatbelt in sideways seats, crash-tests have shown that wearing a seatbelt in a serious accident on sideways seats is more likely to kill you than any other effect in the accident.

Thats pretty much what i meant

You should never use a seatbelt in sideways seats, crash-tests have shown that wearing a seatbelt in a serious accident on sideways seats is more likely to kill you than any other effect in the accident.

Please, when making statements like this, at least back it up with some facts.

Steve

I contacted the DVLA regarding side facing seats and they forward me on to this agency (below):

“Road Safety 1

Zone 2/15

Great Minster House

76 Marsham Street

London

SW1P 4DR

Telephone number 020 7944 2046”

They should be able to answer your query with factual information, although as many others have said, he did labour on for a long time about the very poor safety factor.

Read the article above and doesn't mention anything to back up your statement...

and as for this...

Plus have 2 friends who are nurses.

It's a classic! :hysterical:

Dont really know whether they are safe or not. Depends on whether you think they have become unsafe because the govenrment suddenlt decided they were! The government says they are not, but they say and change a lot of things! Like someone else said, i spent an awful lot of time on them when i was a child! That said, you simply have to consider the legalities of carrying children in these seats these days.

The trouble with any type of the available harnesses is that they are all meant to be fitted to seats that face forward. Any fitted to inward facing seats are not as effective as they are not fitted as the manufacturers intended. You also have the issue that it might not be legal to carry children in these seats. You should try searching for this as MOG suggests, but the search facility on the forum is really not that great - i use it frequently and get hundreds of unrelated results - i think this is why people ask questions that have been covered before. The best way is to search on google with LR4x4 in you search query.

many thanks for this info and the search tip.

I contacted the DVLA regarding side facing seats and they forward me on to this agency (below):

“Road Safety 1

Zone 2/15

Great Minster House

76 Marsham Street

London

SW1P 4DR

Telephone number 020 7944 2046”

They should be able to answer your query with factual information, although as many others have said, he did labour on for a long time about the very poor safety factor.

many thanks for this information that is really helpfull

I went through this a while ago ... My conclusion was ..

1) Its not legal

2) Its not safe

3) Not worth the risk

We could all argue that its all about the government and that we don't ever have accidents, and talk about days of old when smoking was good for you and seat belts weren't even fitted in cars.

In reality we have a choice .. My choice is to sit my kids in a good quality forward facing seat, with a good quality kiddie seat, and make sure they are strapped in.

I carry 3 kids and a mrs in my landie90. If ya click my linky at the bottom then somewhere in there it'll show you how i created a proper 3 point seat belt for the front centre seat and the seats i fitted in the rear.

If it was me and i needed to carry 6 kiddies then i'd get a 110 CSW and make it the same as the new defender csw then it'll be about as good as it can be.