siezed 300tdi

mobyone

i bought a quite good condition 300tdi 5 door yesterday with a siezed engine. i have a spare anyway, but was considering overhauling the engine. when i got it home i looked further into it, the guy thought the oil pump had failed, though i have not heard of this often on these engines, and found next to no coolant- which is almost certainly the cause of the sieze.

anyway, the point of this topic is, other than the obvious 1. head 2.cylinders 3.check all water hoses 4.rings/pistons. 5.water pump 6. block cracked!!

what else should i look for. i haven't really got into the nitty gritty on these engies yet so i figured it was about time. have done lots of in-situ type stuff apart from a head swap, but never ripped these engines apart to re build again.

so what in my list did i miss?

thanks guys/girls in advance

richard

I bought my 300TDi engine dirt cheap (£50) because it had been boiled and fried. The pistons had picked-up in the bores, so a rebore and new pistons. The head was warped beyond saving, so a new head from Turner Engineering. Cam and crankshaft bearings were shot, but the cam and crank were still ok. The engine had been sat outside with some old carpet on it, so was in a pretty bad state.

post-2-125645984727_thumb.jpg

post-2-12564598592_thumb.jpg

post-2-12564598691_thumb.jpg

post-2-125646037722_thumb.jpg

post-2-125646039398_thumb.jpg

post-2-125646053219_thumb.jpg

post-2-125646056478_thumb.jpg

Les.

I did bits and pieces of the rebuild and took pictures of the whole job as I went, but not a single thread on it. It's not the sort of thing that someoe is likely to do, so I didn't think it was worth it.

Les.

I wouldn't mind a write-up on a 300tdi rebuild, especially what parts and tools to get etc. I have the rebuild manual, but it looks like you need a different tool to get each pulley out :blink:

well, forget the rebuild... i cant even split it from the g/box. got all but one nut from the bellhousing and the one left is well chewed up. it is as if someone has tried a nut splitter on it but could not get it split properly. i have never removed an engine let alone one with the box still on it. anyone got any tips on either way. oh and it is the one about the 3 o'clock position looking at the engine from the front. i have an engine crane too.

richard

I bought my 300TDi engine dirt cheap (£50) because it had been boiled and fried. The pistons had picked-up in the bores, so a rebore and new pistons. The head was warped beyond saving, so a new head from Turner Engineering. Cam and crankshaft bearings were shot, but the cam and crank were still ok. The engine had been sat outside with some old carpet on it, so was in a pretty bad state.

post-2-125645984727_thumb.jpg

post-2-12564598592_thumb.jpg

post-2-12564598691_thumb.jpg

post-2-125646037722_thumb.jpg

post-2-125646039398_thumb.jpg

post-2-125646053219_thumb.jpg

post-2-125646056478_thumb.jpg

Les.

Hi Les, that looks like a beautiful result you achieved there, I'd be as proud as Punch if my TDi engines looked like that.

Very well done. So, now that you've got the hang of it.................................................................... :D:rolleyes::rolleyes::)