Ebay

BogMonster

Is it just me or is Ebay the biggest POS website ever?

Three quarters of a &&&&&& hour I have wasted this morning trying to register :angry:

Always avoided it before on the basis it is probably inhabited by crooks and low lifes but I have seen some useful things on there which would be handy to have so I thought I would give it a go.

Three times the website crashed completely

It is USELESSLY slow

After the above waste of my morning it then says I can't register for it anyway :angry::angry::angry::angry: because my credit card isn't valid. Wrong. It is. I used it yesterday.

And the less said about the "automated help menu thing" the better. I don't suppose there is any point at all in sending them an email as I will get some stupid "standard response" that says "There may be a problem with your credit card".

What a bloody waste of time!! :angry:

[/rant]

Update.

My confidence in the help service was well placed.

But I thought it was worth a try so I typed in a lengthy message explaining the problem, and click submit.

"Please enter a valid Ebay user ID"

Er ... actually that's the point chaps.....!!!!!

What a useless bunch of articles they are!!! :angry:

Is the whole Ebay thing in fact nothing except a scam to collect the email addresses and credit card details of as many people as possible to sell on to scammers, and in fact it does not really sell anything? I wonder... :rolleyes:

The help desks at e-bay are staffed by morons who don't read what the original problem is before sending a semi automated reply that is assembled from a vast library of stock sentences and paragraphs.

Their replies rarely relate to the matter at hand and only serve to infuriate me! :angry:

Good luck with trying to register!

Steve

Every now and then e-bay decides to go on a real go-slow. This is normally when I'm trying to flog something and so it takes ages to upload a picture.

I'm currently on dial up and home and when e-bay is in a good mood a pic will upload in about 2 minutes. When e-bay is in a bad mood it can take ½ hour on braodband at work (and then I got a visit from one of the IT guys asking why my computer was taking up 85% of system resources at lunchtime!) :huh::P

Unfortunately there is no other online auction site worth mentioning. I've certainly mangaged to get a lot of new and second hand landy stuff on there at v. reasonable prices. There are plenty of idiots on there mind.. I've bitten my tongue many a time!! As for customer support it's all on-line and semi-automated, so they don't have to deal with any "real" people, which is probably why they take the p**s..

it is probably inhabited by crooks and low lifes ......

Thanks.......... :ph34r: we've been rumbled.....quick to the getaway car.....

All joking aside yes there are some idiots on there and I have been scammed once (but got my money back..)

Just ensure you stick to the rules and regs and if you get stung you will (eventually) get at least some of your money back. I also now stick to buying generally low value items unless I am really really happy with the seller.

As for the site the web site generally runs OK for me and only very rarely have I had any problems (apart from the seling section does not like Firefox)

Guest diesel_jim

FWIW Steve... i've not got a credit card. you can opt to "pay by cheque" or by direct debit (wich i now have) but until my DD account was setup, they were fine with cheque (although it took me about 10 minutes to find the bloomin page where it gives you the address! :( )

Ralph, it was ebay.co.uk I was trying to register on.

Jim, you need to provide credit card details to verify that you are who you say you are when you register. No card, no register... maybe its a new thing.

Nigel, a question, what begins with "come here" and ends with "ow" :P

Ralph, it was ebay.co.uk I was trying to register on.

Jim, you need to provide credit card details to verify that you are who you say you are when you register. No card, no register... maybe its a new thing.

Nigel, a question, what begins with "come here" and ends with "ow" :P

Ah, OK, probably ebay having a bad day then :rolleyes:

try registering on ebay.fr /ebay.be? it may not be possible to put the correct address in at first, although you could change it later I suppose. As there's a very low volume of Ebay commerce on those national sites, they aren't so demanding for registration

Unfortunately there is no other online auction site worth mentioning.

I did hear of another similar site ... but can't remember what it was now. It would be good if there was come competition, mayb listing & final fees would go down. (ebay must make an absolute mint..)