Rear Diff Problem...

edwardatherton

Right, last weekend I swapped the rear axle from the S1 type to a 2A SWB axle. Everything was cleaned and rebuilt, and I swapped the 4.3:1 diff from the old axle into the new one and bolted it all up.

First day was fine, but over the last few days the whining noise has got so loud that you couldn't even hear the engine on the way to Blackpool Friday night! I took the rear prop off and it drove back home perfectly quietly.

Symptoms...

VERY LOUD whining under load (definitely the diff, not gearbox, hubs etc.)

Hot front of diff (nice for warming your hands while removing prop in Blackpool!)

Loads of play at the pinion.

What have I done that could cause this...?

I took the front cover plate off and changed the pinion oil seal while swapping the axle as well.

I have been fiddling just now, and took out four shims from behind the front diff roller bearing. This removed all the play at the pinion but on a test drive it is still damn loud!

Does anyone have any idea what I might have done/what has happened to my diff???

Is the axle the semi-floating type, same as 86" S1?

Hot pinion nose means hot bearing - caused possibly by over adjusting the pinion bearings. Not too sure, but there are shimes in there?

Pinion nose bearing should have bo really noticeable play in it. Maybe a very small amount when cold, but ok when warm. Are the crown wheel and pinion the same pair, or did you use the diff from your old axle and keep the pinion from the other vehicle?

Les.

Is the axle the semi-floating type, same as 86" S1?

No, it is a later axle - fully floating.

Hot pinion nose means hot bearing - caused possibly by over adjusting the pinion bearings. Not too sure, but there are shimes in there?

There were 4 shims but now there aren't any!

Pinion nose bearing should have bo really noticeable play in it. Maybe a very small amount when cold, but ok when warm. Are the crown wheel and pinion the same pair, or did you use the diff from your old axle and keep the pinion from the other vehicle?

I simply swapped the whole diff across from one axle to the other.

Sometimes when people refer to the diff, they only mean the crown wheel and sun gears in the housing as it comes out. The pinion being left in the old casing. The crown wheel and pinion are a matched set, so I thought perhaps a problem if you had mixed them. Looks like you are going to spend a day fiddling with your rear axle then Edward! :)

Les.