Propshafts-Which Way Round?

MarkB

Hi

I have a really silly question here but I have to ask it.

I recently purchased a SWB series 3 as a rebuild project, which is coming along slowly.

I have also bought another SWB series 3 with a rotten chassis as a parts donor.

I have just noticed that the front propshaft on my project series 3 has the end with splined shaft and protective rubber gaiter connected to the front output shaft/gearbox.

On the scrap series 3 the end of the prop with the splined shaft/gaiter is connected to the front axle?

Can anybody please tell me which is correct.

Cheers

Mark

Hi

I have a really silly question here but I have to ask it.

I recently purchased a SWB series 3 as a rebuild project, which is coming along slowly.

I have also bought another SWB series 3 with a rotten chassis as a parts donor.

I have just noticed that the front propshaft on my project series 3 has the end with splined shaft and protective rubber gaiter connected to the front output shaft/gearbox.

On the scrap series 3 the end of the prop with the splined shaft/gaiter is connected to the front axle?

Can anybody please tell me which is correct.

Cheers

Mark

Rear prop shaft has sliding joint to the gearbox end, front prop shaft has sliding joint to diff. If the front is fitted with the sliding joint to the gearbox the gaiter can catch on the bellhousing cross member at full axle droop.

:rolleyes: