Bures Winch Challenge Results

SteveG

As Jonathan's said, we had a fantastic weekend, only problem we had was using more fuel than we expected on saturday so the fuel pickup pipe sucked in air on a steep hill we were trying to winch up. Of course, PTO winch means no pulling until we could give the engine some fuel again on the flat (could have just ran it on the starter if we were really stuck, but didn't want to flatten the battery or bugger the fuel pump). Thanks to the guys who dragged us to the top!

Once we'd found the nearest fuel station and come back we then had problems with the carb not liking very steep slopes. It would run for quite a while, but after a minute at 60degrees or so it would stall which isn't too helpful when you're trying to winch down again! A TDi is looking more and more tempting now... :unsure:

Still, great day and we had a nice bimble around getting punches without damaging anything. How close were we to Bish's score Steve?

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

j1.jpg

j2.jpg

j3.jpg

j4.jpg

j5.jpg

j6.jpg

j7.jpg

And a couple of videos, all between 1 and 2mb

Flooring it in the sand

Bish's hole? Think this was our second attempt, first we went in backwards and couldn't get close enough, then tried forwards and went too fast past it, finally got it the third time!

Dip in the lake

Trying to get up a hill Managed it once, but got the wrong side of the tree!

Punch in the water

Winching out of the water

Richard

Some good pics there m8 and some good clips we were sitting at the bottom watching you go up that hill i think you got it on the 3rd or 4th go was good to watch from the bottom

Here is a couple i have

DSC00039.jpg

Winchbreaker.jpg

and this is what the cost of not using a snatch block to lower down with is

DSC00041.jpg

DSC00042.jpg

Plus an alternator and a new pair of solenoids

Frank

Just for the record...... :ph34r:

53875.jpg

This situation arose because yours truely commited the number one sin of not listening to the co-driver.

We had planned our "assault" on this punch and all was going to plan -having tested the depth with the trusty spade (which told us very little :unsure: ) we decided it was a case of drive in as far as possible, get the punch and winch through off the tree in the distance.

Things went a little off track when I decided to try and reverse out whilst my co driver (Tango V8) was off doing summat, having first placed the carefully coiled winch rope on the bonnet.

Said rope promptly fell off and got wrapped around the axle :o:ph34r: .

Needless to say little rearward progress was made. As we couldn't see how tangled it was, and not wanting to rip out brake lines, we decided the prudent approach was to get recovered backwards by a marshall (thanks Robin!! :D ) Typically, Big Si rolls up at the perfect moment for a photo! :huh:

Once out of the hole the winch rope was recovered and we went on to execute the punch as planned.

I am proud to say that was the only time all day that we needed any outside help, and all the times we winched were planned.

Now that MUST be a first! :lol::lol:

Here's a couple of pic's, especially like the one of Mark stuck about 5 minutes after kick-off:

99d7ebb5.jpg

Bures06007.jpg

Thanks to Steve for the sofa bed to sleep on and lunch, also thanks to Chris W for his efforts with the punches - being Oranges' co-driver, the 4 "drive-up-to" punches meant we still beat Mark....which is always nice!

Chris

Hi,

I have found the missing punch No 28, it was down it the vally below and to the right of the container only Paul and craig managed to get to it.

Peter

Thanks Peter, I thought 25 was missing but it turned up so I now have a full set again.

I remember 28, down the slightly steep and fairly long bank, slowly or you'll bury the bumper in the far bank. Hang a right at the bottom, back it up to the punch and then winch up the other side, lovely!

Chris and the guys laid out a good range of punches from the ‘who hid that there’ to ‘what b*****d put that there!’ The one over the concrete slab beat me, broke a CV (the outer spline into the drive flange). Luckily it was at the end of the day, I did try the one on the other side of the swamp but with three wheel drive Piggy was having none of it!

Hi,

I have found the missing punch No 28, it was down it the vally below and to the right of the container only Paul and craig managed to get to it.

Peter

Excellent you found it - I was getting worried about my deposit!! :blink:

How did you get on with your rear springs set-up?? Did you see the pics above of Nick's RR and the axle mount spring relocator? As I mentioned to you on saturday I think this will solve your problem. If you want to try out by buying off-the shelf Andy at whitepeakengineering (ex- Gon2Far 3-Link guy) sells a rear pair for 34 quid.

Cheers

Steve

Excellent you found it - I was getting worried about my deposit!! :blink:

How did you get on with your rear springs set-up?? Did you see the pics above of Nick's RR and the axle mount spring relocator? As I mentioned to you on saturday I think this will solve your problem. If you want to try out by buying off-the shelf Andy at whitepeakengineering (ex- Gon2Far 3-Link guy) sells a rear pair for 34 quid.

Cheers

Steve

Hi Steve,

Punch sent off to Paul today.

Rear springs are now sorted made up some relocater’s from D44 rear with cone part cut off added two guides and a hook to catch spring to stop it falling out.

Also cut middle out of a spare bottom spring seat, and welded to top of relocater to give me extra 1" lift works really well a very easy way to get a lift as could alter the height by adjusting the position of the welded on sprig seat, and you get a relocater all in one. I suppose I had better get a pattern on it fast :D .

Just need to sort out the miss fire in low box.

DSCF3999.jpg

DSCF4000.jpg

DSCF4001.jpg

DSCF4002.jpg

Regards

Peter