50th Anniversary

Hi everyone

I am buying a 4.0 litre 50th anniversary Defender as a second car (still keeping the freebie) but does anyone know what they cost when new as some are still retailng for 15k mark also am I correct in saying that there was only two engine sizes available 2.5 td5 and 4.0 V8

Cheers

:rolleyes:

AFAIK the 50th was V8 only

Nope. There were 2 anniversary editions. The common one that most of us think about when we see "50th Anniversary" is the turquoise one with a roll cage, auto box and the 4 litre V8.

The actual colour was called Atlantis Blue and there were only 1000 or so vehicles built, and about 400 of these were for the UK market, hence the still high premium.

However, a second, less common Defender was released at round about the same time (1998), which did indeed have a TD5 engine. This was called the "Heritage" edition, and was available as a 90 or 110 inch, as opposed to the one I mentioned earlier, which was 90 only.

The Heritage was available in 2 colours, Bronze Green & Atlantic Green. It had body colour matched wing mirrors & wheels and a mesh grille. It was supposed to be reminiscent of a Series 1.

post-3030-125694346262_thumb.jpg post-3030-125694348808_thumb.jpg

HTH

Martin

Nope. There were 2 anniversary editions. The common one that most of us think about when we see "50th Anniversary" is the turquoise one with a roll cage, auto box and the 4 litre V8.

The actual colour was called Atlantis Blue and there were only 1000 or so vehicles built, and about 400 of these were for the UK market, hence the still high premium.

However, a second, less common Defender was released at round about the same time (1998), which did indeed have a TD5 engine. This was called the "Heritage" edition, and was available as a 90 or 110 inch, as opposed to the one I mentioned earlier, which was 90 only.

The Heritage was available in 2 colours, Bronze Green & Atlantic Green. It had body colour matched wing mirrors & wheels and a mesh grille. It was supposed to be reminiscent of a Series 1.

HTH

Martin

There were some late 300tdi 90 hardtops released as '50th anniversary' models too.

I didnt realise the Heritage was a '50th' model, I thought it was released closer to yr2000, but it say it was on Wiki

...whereas actually it just looked hideous :unsure:

The "real" V8 50th is a beauty, I've always wanted one but the prices are silly and petrol here costs nearly twice as much as diesel so one V8 to go to church on Sundays is more than enough for the wallet!

Wiki, as often, is incorrect. The proper 50th was sold in 98, in the UK "S" registered. The heritage was sold in 99, all the ones I have seen were on a "V" reg in the UK.

The heritage was little more than a colour option versus the significantly different 50th.

How many other mistakes can you spot in this wiki page?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land_Rover_Defender

ok ta but does anyone know what the V8 50th edition cost new :huh:

HTH

Martin

Wiki, as often, is incorrect. The proper 50th was sold in 98, in the UK "S" registered. The heritage was sold in 99, all the ones I have seen were on a "V" reg in the UK.

The heritage was little more than a colour option versus the significantly different 50th.

How many other mistakes can you spot in this wiki page?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land_Rover_Defender

So i was right! I don't stand corrected then :D

At the time the 50th Anniversary came on the scene most owners complained about the overall gearing.

My nas90 is a 1995 but I changed the R380 manual for a secondhand RR auto and transfer box and fitted the MY97 nas centre console.

The RR and Disco I transfer were 1.22:1 and I always had a problem with hunting between 3rd & 4th on long motorway climbs. A few years ago I swapped the 1.22 for a 1.4:1 standard Defender transfer box with Ashcrofts and the extra revs do help so perhaps the 50th had the RR box? and the reason for all the complaints? BTW I might be a few digits to the right of the dec point wrong but you get the drift.

The 50th is a RHD version of the last MY97 nas 90's before LR stopped selling the Defender into the States. The 50th has the nas centre console with the handbrake cutout in LHD format, usual LR trick of raiding the parts box!

Only difference was the nas radio is ahead of the cubby box and LR made this a coin tray on the 50th and placed the (deeper section UK radio shallower section US radio) radio in a plastic moulding in the dashborad between the 2 bulkhead vents.

I would have bought a 50th but I could not live with a hard-top and that disgusting colour :angry: