Headlining - anybody tried these?

Looks OK in the picture, seller says "Taken from the genuine Land Rover mould" but fails to say what it's made of.

Might be worth a question to the seller?

Just got a reply:

Hello, Thank you for your enquiry, the head linings are made from Glass Re-enforced Polyester (A.K.A Fibre glass) There is always a possibility of droop, usually caused by the Defenders great abillity to leak no matter how new they are. These are stronger than the original. Thanks for looking regards Sharon.

My 110 is suffering the classic saggy headlining syndrome and I don't really want to fork out for a La Salle!

I came across THESE on Fleabay. Has anyone tried them and are they any good? The description on eBay is rather lacking on detail!

Front Headlining In Grey

£85.06 + £12.76 vat

Rear Headlining In Grey

£150.00 + £22.50 vat

So by my calculation they are ~£60 more expensive than a LaSalle headlining

Headlining? Pffft, take it down and just stick some nice artex up there :ph34r:

In all seriousness though, for all the good it does why not just remove it? Paint the ceiling if you're worried about appearances.

Edit: Just checked eBay, it's Simmonites so it's going to be priced about the same as its own weight in gold. Just buy the LaSalle one.

In all seriousness though, for all the good it does why not just remove it? Paint the ceiling if you're worried about appearances.

eliminates condensation, reduces noise, insulates. tis featured in almost all cars for a reason and unless you're getting it wet a lot (or you enjoy the aforementioned) it makes sense to have it in a land rover. making your own is not difficult, however if i'm not mistaken, the defender stuff is rigid, so you can remove it, strip off the saggy stuff and recover. i've seen pictures of doing the same for a land cruiser, should be easier for a defender. could even re-do it in alcantara, tres pimp.

I rang Guy Salmon LR about headlining for my home made DC.

They quote me £198 + vat for the back bit

And £298 + vat for the front bit

Or was it the other way round? can't remember now!!

Anyhoo, I'm waiting for Lasalle to start running off DC linings

Quality stuff

Ade

let me fix that for ya ;)

absorbs condensation

reduces noise so you can only hear the ticking of the dashboard clock at 70mph :rolleyes:

insulates so all the hot air from the legendary LR heater can escape out of all the other holes and panel gaps

tis featured in almost all cars for a reason - those cars have working door seals, heaters, and are quiet and comfortable.

I know some shiny defenders have carpets and trim and aircon and all that, but really, in an old 110 the roof lining does not make a massive impact on the Bentleyesque interior experience.

That reminds me, I really should paint the inside of my roof...

granted, an old 110 is not the last word in refinement, but headlining is of benefit. mine arrived with none (and no interior trim at all save for two seats) and being a cheapskate i had to make some. i found it made a considerable difference though, condensation was eliminated from the roof as there was no big cold surface above you for the water vapour to condense on and it really did cut down on the noise. warmth, well, as you say the heater falls somewhat short of a roaring furnace, so i didn't notice really that much difference. with aluminium being a fairly good conductor of heat, almost any material will improve its insulative qualities.

i'm not saying headlining is essential, and many do without, but it does improve things somewhat and every little helps.

I'm with callum here. My old 90, a van with no headlining, was a pain on cold mornings, masses of condensation inside the roof which all sloshed down to the front O/S corner and on my head every time I set off from cold.

When I got a new roof for my current 90, I got a van roof because I didn't want any more glass in it, mine being a CSW, it had a roof lining anyway, although with the cutouts for the alpine lights and sunroof. Before I fitted it, I got some closed cell plastic foam sheeting, about 4mm thick and cut sections to fit the entire roof and glued it on before re-fitting the original roof lining.

While the newer 90 was a big improvement on the old one in terms of noise and warmth, it's definately improved even more now with the extra layer of insulation, so I would say don't chuck it out unless your going to replace it.

While we're on the subject,

Happy bunny today

I just rang that top fella at Lasalle again (it's been about a year since our last chat)

In about 4 weeks doublecab headinings will be available from them at around £250, that's less than a single section from LR!!

Apparently it'll include speaker sections too.

I'm off to look in the boys piggy banks!

Ade

The only benefit I can see to a headlining in an off-roading Defender is to stop the roof panels vibrating. My truck cab roof vibrates in the wind sometimes, but I think glueing some rubber sheeting to it should stop that.

In a purely road-going Defender I would have one though, for appearance's sake :)

• 5 years later...

For what it's worth at this (much) later stage if anyone's still reading this thread, that Ballytherm/Kingspan stuff (what appears to be some expanding foam sandwiched between silver foil) works a treat. It can be easily cut to size, can be (sort of) bent to shape and is light enough that it can be glued into place.

Then covered with something more aesthetically pleasing . . .

Well as it happened I sold my 300TDI complete with baggy headlining and bought a TD5 with a headlining in good condition! As it is a hardtop with bare metal at the back I bought some of the Noisekiller eggbox type foam for the roof and it works a treat!