The Halfords Trade Card Thread ?

i'm a big fan of the Halfords Trade Card, but I guess I won't use it quite so much now I don't have the Landy anymore :(;)

Biggest savings I found were on Filters (upto 80% off!) wiper blades and bulbs.. as others have said, tools and batteries can also be a lot cheaper.

I tried to get a trade card in the local branch when I went in with £300 of invoices from the last six weeks.

The spotty kn*b who was the 'manager' asked to see my City and Guilds ticket. Told him I didn't have one and then showed him the Halfords company policy on trade cards, which included the 'lots of recent receipts' clause. This was far too much for the yoof to understand and he stated he wouldn't do one without a C and G qualification.

Anyone else know a way around this stupid policy? I'd spend a ton of money in there if I had a card......

the 'manager' asked to see my City and Guilds ticket. Told him I didn't have one and then showed him the Halfords company policy on trade cards, which included the 'lots of recent receipts' clause. This was far too much for the yoof to understand and he stated he wouldn't do one without a C and G qualification.

Anyone else know a way around this stupid policy? I'd spend a ton of money in there if I had a card......

Point out that one does not 'need' a C&G qualification to be in the motor trade, it is merely a qualification. ...in much the same way as you do not need a catering degree to be a chef, or a 25m swimming certificate any qualifications at all to work in Halfords.

Chris

[quote name=HoggyN' date='04 November 2009 - 08:54 AM' timestamp='1257324887'

post='444698]

That's daft! They are selling the 150 piece set for £70 less than the 120 piece set :blink:

They are also selling a 36 piece 1/4" set for less than the cost of a replacement ratchet.

to which I replied "it's not because the smaller one's are for the 1.0ltr and the bigger one's for the 1.4 and 1.6 is it mate ? do you think?"

I think he saw you coming - and fancied a wind up! ;)

They have tightened up massively - to the extent that when I lost mine, I had to re-apply and jump through several hoops to get another. They initially refused - but then the store manager recognised me and told the youth to give me a card!

Trade card discounts are brilliant for consumable items - wiper blades, filters, fluids, batteries - that kind of thing. OK for tools (but the tools are some of the best on the market at the moment) and useless for 'luxury' or 'bling' items.

Si

I recently got my own trade card and find it a useful tool to own!.. And every single one of my mates wo like to tinker with cars are begging for me to go to halfords with them :lol:

I have only bought one thing on the trade card as I have only had it one week, And it was a socket organiser set which was supposed to be £12.99 but with the trade card it dropped too £10.29 which is a decent saving.

To get my card it couldnt have been any easier than walking into the store.. Theres a few ways around the system ;)..

I was also told by the lad there that I should ring up halfords, tell them I am a trade customer before hand and tell them what I want and they will give me a trade quote..

As said it just goes to show how much of a rip off halfords can be if they can sell things with up to 80% off!

I have also noticed that the 150 piece socket set is infact £70 more than the 120 piece!.. Also the newer style of 150 piece socket set has fewer items but they make the number up with screw driver bits!

Head light bulbs are often buy one get one free, but on trade there half price.

Steve

Not quite true .............

BOGOF usually only applies to the super and extreme brilliance Halfords bulbs ....... buying them on trade card will net you 20% discount per bulb.

I cant ever remember seeing standard H/light bulbs on BOGOF, but with the trade card these (like all other standard Halfords brand bulbs) are huge discounts.

Got some brake pads last week - retail price was about £45 Trade price was about: £35

Also got a small tin of hammerite and a tube of threadlock, Got about 30p off the threadlock and about 50p off the hammerite.

Not huge savings but over a tenner off, so it was worth borrowing that trade card! You seem to be able to borrow anyone's card - I even paid on debit card which had my name on instead of the trade card name - they weren't bothered at all.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got my card as of yesterday and i did take my C&G cert's in with me they gave me a card straight away, the manager was showing me some of the prices on the computer eg: an air filter for my girlfriends 300 tdi disco is about £9.99 without the card, If you use the card it goes down to £3.49 each which as we can all appreciate it's a bit of a saving i also bought a couple of ratchet spanners which saved me a total of £6.00 for the three i bought aswell

Thank you Nige-well worth having the card !!

These cards are a godsend, theyre not too good on name brand products such as hammerite and haynes manuals only £1 off,

but Halfords own brand items are a lovely price now :) e.g 1litre brake fluid goes from 10 quid down to £3 :rolleyes:

They are well worth it, if you can blag one, or find a mate with one

I looked into this a few weeks ago as i have started my own mobile mechanic business in my spare time at the mo.

And the bloke behind the parts desk brought it to my attention and that all i would need is to bring in some company headed stationary. i.e invoice or similair to activate the account.

might pop back in there and have a word with them see if thats still the case or whether he was chatting out of his rear end.

• 3 weeks later...

I've had a belter today in my local Halfrauds

My son again wanted some of these high power ultra bright headlamp bulbs they do under their own brand name,

£20 each, but buy one get one free, so not to bad, also a set of Bosch wiper blade's for his Peugeot 106 Quicksilver bass bin thing,

gets to the counter presents the trade card followed by the debit card, "thats £44 please sir", "Whoa, hang on pal what for ?",

turns out the lamps are not but one get one on the trade card so you pall full whack minus a bit of discount,

so its actually cheaper without the card, work that one out, beats me.