Scratches

Exmoor Beast

We are selling on our P38a as I mentioned before and as is to be expected its earned a few nasty scratches in its time with us, its its own damn fault for being too big for the Exmoor lanes.

Anyway I pondered long and hard about what to do about it, I nearly even phoned a local firm who someone recommended and paid them to sort it out! Sanity prevailed though and I went to the local dealer and ordered one of those little nail narnish pots of Niagara grey.

Typical Land Rover and it came with no advice on use so I winged it.

First.

cleaned the car as best I could.

Then gave the deepest scratches a run over with some 1200 sandpaper to make sure they were cleaned out.

Next out with the paint and splodged a girt dollop right down the length of the scratch.

wait to dry.

Out with the 1200 sandpaper again and lightly sanded it back until it felt smooth across the scratch.

T-Cut out next and used that to take away the last of the overpaint.

Lastly I washed the whole car again and applied Auto-Glym resin polish and then Auto-Glym High Gloss finish stuff.

No sign of the scratches at all!! So if your shiney Land-Rover is looking ropey there is no excuse, get yourself down to your dealer and spend £6ish on the touch up kit. Unbelieveably it works.

Maybe I should start on the 110....err maybe not

Will :)

Interesting Will - I would have assumed that using sandpaper, even very fine stuff, would have left a "matt" finish on the lacquer but I guess not. I have a few scars on my Discovery (gravel roads.....) so I will have to try it :)

Hmm.. How deep is deep? Some scummy lowlife keyed the door and front wing on my Disco II last week, down to the under coat. I already have the correct touch up paint, but I wasn't sure if such damage could be sorted by an 'amateur'.

But I suppose there's no reason I shouldn't give it ago before I take it to Riply to get it done properly. It's already knackered anyway.

What say you Will?

Hmm.. How deep is deep? Some scummy lowlife keyed the door and front wing on my Disco II last week, down to the under coat. I already have the correct touch up paint, but I wasn't sure if such damage could be sorted by an 'amateur'.

But I suppose there's no reason I shouldn't give it ago before I take it to Riply to get it done properly. It's already knackered anyway.

What say you Will?

Have a go as you say can't make it any worse :rolleyes:

that was how I learnt to clean up body work (not good enough to respray cars yet though)

Have a go as you say can't make it any worse :rolleyes:

That was my theory Jules ;)

Some of my scratches were deep and pretty wide so I would think a keu scratch would be no problem.

I am selling the car anyway but I try to reapply wax every couple of weeks on our shiney LRs, the P38 got done every week as it looked terrible otherwise.

Will :)