How long???

Micky-Disco

The repair time by the book is aprox 3 hours for a 300tdi (+ 9 min if it has AC). Plus 9 mins fixed allowance (get the car in/out etc). So roughly 3.15-3.3 hours. Complications are extra (rusted bolts etc).

Multiply this with what they charge an hour and you get the labor cost.

It doesn't matter if they (or you) can do it in 3 mins or it will take 3 years, you'll be charged that fixed amount given by the book (plus the potential complications if any).

We thought about doin it ourselves, me and my step dad, as he has done some before, just if something went wrong, I dont have cash to replace anything.

Had a quote from a garage I had my hilux belt done at, they quoted £230 to replace timing belt plus the alt belt, and that included the belt. The timing belt from them tho is £47, and belt kit £140 :o I can get a kit from some places for around £30, so gonna see if they will fit a kit I buy, fingers crossed ;)

cheers y'all :D

Bearmach supply a complete kit for a 300TDi. The belt is Dayco, which is a genuine item. You get belt, tensioner, idler, gaskets, and crank sprocket, which is better than the original item. The only part you need to get seperately is the timing cover dust seal and the crankshaft front oil seal (if you need it).

med_gallery_2_134_139108.jpg

How to do it yourself :)

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=6943

Les

why dont you buy the kit and ring a mobile mechanic!! some are cowboys and you will know buy the price or burble they say to you. but find a good one and he will be fairly cheap, plus he should have insurance if he is a proper mobile business...

would be cheaper. besides,someone correct me if this is wrong,but if the belt swap was off on timing you would only be looking at a bent push rod or two and they are not expensive to buy, and you just whip off the rocker cover and rocker shaft to replace them.

i would do it yourself with your old man. you will feel more confident with these engines and you will save a packet. and like i said, the pushrods are still cheap, so if you replace a few, you will still be quids in doing it on your own.

be brave, and soon you will have no more stuff to do on your disco.

richard

Thanks Mobyone, seriously considering doing it ourselves now.

Just out of curiousity, are there any parts that a normally a pain to get off.

I used to have a 300zx twin turbo, and could I get the crank nut loose, nope!!

Just dont wanna strip the landy down and get stuck lol, so if anyone can think of

anything, then I can be prepared, have tools ready just in case etc etc....

I also read I need 2 timing pins, are these daft prices??

Cheers

If you mean a pin to put into the fuel pump then you can use a 9.5mm drill bit. The timing pin for the flywheel is not really needed. Just keep an eye on the marker on the flywheel and you should be OK.

Les has done the cam belt tutorial (linked above) and it's a fairly easy and painless job to do. Disconnect the battery when you do it though. You don't want the engine turning over if a spanner falls onto the starter when the belt is off.

does not matter which landy it is from, it is the engine which the kit is for, so yes, the defender 300tdi kit is the same kit.

there are no real suprises on these engines except some left had threads. but for the timing belt kit, i dont remember any real problems. be careful to not damage the front face of the case though, as it is watertight when the gasket meets it. and dont overtighten and crack it either... no real stumbling blocks though.

just keep the brews flowing and have a step to stand on on the drivers side by the front wheel or you will feel it on your back, and mark the timings with a white pen if you cant see them. i reckon, first time doing this you will take at least a morning or an afternoon. but hey, thats half the fun. when you get it back together, if it doesn't start or runs odd, you probably got the fuel pump timing out.

have fun...

richard

does not matter which landy it is from, it is the engine which the kit is for, so yes, the defender 300tdi kit is the same kit.

there are no real suprises on these engines except some left had threads. but for the timing belt kit, i dont remember any real problems. be careful to not damage the front face of the case though, as it is watertight when the gasket meets it. and dont overtighten and crack it either... no real stumbling blocks though.

just keep the brews flowing and have a step to stand on on the drivers side by the front wheel or you will feel it on your back, and mark the timings with a white pen if you cant see them. i reckon, first time doing this you will take at least a morning or an afternoon. but hey, thats half the fun. when you get it back together, if it doesn't start or runs odd, you probably got the fuel pump timing out.

have fun...

richard

Thats great cheers, just wanting my confidence boosting, and its working lol

If the fuel pump timing did end up slightly out, is that hard to sort?? Just

wanna make sure I have all the tools ready, as I cannot afford my car to be off the road...

So need to have everything ready ;)

Cheers again :D