300TDi Clutch fork.

Les Henson

I replaced a seriously wrecked clutch master on a very nice 300TDi CSW today. However, the pedal is almost rock solid (yes I did do the job properly :angry: ).

Anyway, what small movement there is causes a horrid creak from inside the bell housing.

Took the slave cylinder out and it's fine and recently-ish replaced too.

Seems to me that the pivot ball has punched through the fork, as the clutch was replaced by Frogs Island 5-years ago. I would have thought that professional bodies would replace the fork as a matter of course if it's a known problem. Perhaps not, but I wasn't aware that the 300TDi/R380 set up was prone to this problem as well?

Les. :)

Yep they fail, mine went about 100K miles, I know someone else who had the same problem. Must be a big problem cos they were back ordered at Land Rover about a year ago. The pattern ones i've seen look exactly the same as the Genuine ones...

They do go.

For info, I have read somewhere that later Genuine forks are an improved design, I think they are a little bit thicker, so what you buy as a "new genuine part" now is supposed to be better than what you would find fitted to an original 300tdi if it hadn't been changed.

A pattern one I have seen failed in just a few months....

I am told that a common mod here, years ago, was to get the cup out of the bottom of a drop arm ball joint kit and weld that over the back of the fork, its about the right shape apparently :)

As you commented in our secret moderators forum a moment ago, I have a credibility problem, so I expect everybody will ignore my disjointed ramblings anyway :P:lol:

Your credits fine with me, & reputation intact :D sshh don't tell everyone about our secret place :rolleyes:

Your credits fine with me, & reputation intact :D sshh don't tell everyone about our secret place :rolleyes:

What do you mean don't tell them? People should be paranoid that we have a secret forum in which we gossip about other members of the forum and plot evil things against them like nobbling their post counts :o

Must admit though it was more fun when all mods could change people's titles on UBBthreads :rolleyes:

yep, 300Tdi's are definatly prone to this problem, mine went last summer, 220 miles from home, on a baking hot day, with a huge trailer on the back.... :angry:

7 hours on a flat-bad taxi later.... :(

i welded a plare onto the back of the new arm, and theres no chance of that punching through.... B)

What do you mean don't tell them? People should be paranoid that we have a secret forum in which we gossip about other members of the forum and plot evil things against them like nobbling their post counts :o

Must admit though it was more fun when all mods could change people's titles on UBBthreads :rolleyes:

:lol: yep,maybe your right :ph34r::ph34r:

Seen the washer welding trick, and rather sadly I thought to myself "that's pretty carp welding"

Yes, altering titles was a laugh, blame Bully Beaumant. When he comes back from skiving we should take him round the back of the bike sheds and give him a damned good thrashing!

Les. :)

don't think so, i think a V8 one is the same as a Td5 one, big solid cast thing that should never break in a million years, but won't fit a 300 AFAIK. Maybe you can with some modifications? would be a lot better anyway!

don't think so, i think a V8 one is the same as a Td5 one, big solid cast thing that should never break in a million years, but won't fit a 300 AFAIK. Maybe you can with some modifications? would be a lot better anyway!

Ah I see a slight problem in my suggestion :o ooppss.

AFAIK they do fit a 2.5td and I am fairly sure they fit a 200tdi but are the 200 and 300 tdi forks the same?

Not sure on this as I have never done a 300.

SG