Fitting Split doors to a 90

I fitted split series type doors to my defender as a cheap replacement option for my original rotten one-piece push-button ones.

I have to say that I did close to damn-all research and it was a doddle! I bought two series doors off ebay for a fiver each (both had some dings and minor rust in the frames but included the galvanised capping). I then got hold of two mint condition glazed ally door tops - the type with two sliding windows - from a breaker for £120. I got a pair of brand new anti-burst door handles (no idea which specific types, but they look identicle to yours) off ebay for £120 and a pair of door strikers of the same breaker for £3. I had to modify the doors for a hole for the lock and that was it. They all just bolted together and onto the existing hinges. If the bottoms eventually rust out, I either replace them with similar series ones or splash out on some 'genuine' (BM or Britpart) ones. I'm chuffed to bits with them as they're cheap and easy to fix / replace and certainly much cheaper than finding a decent 2nd-hand pair of rot-free defender doors. Unless you are extremely lucky that is! :D

Ah yes but my cunning plan to transform yours into a 90 is going well.

90 bonnet, grill and front wings.

Didn't you wonder why I woz so keen to weld on a crossmember last saturday (a 90 one) :lol:

Nige B)

he's tryin to put more 90 bits on his than mine :rolleyes:

i haven't got a 90 rear xmember though, made my own :P

ygkqbz.jpg

Ah yes but my cunning plan to transform yours into a 90 is going well.

90 bonnet, grill and front wings.

Didn't you wonder why I woz so keen to weld on a crossmember last saturday (a 90 one) :lol:

Nige B)

???????? My wings are series ones...........

I got a pair of brand new anti-burst door handles (no idea which specific types, but they look identicle to yours) off ebay for £120

You probably don't want to know this, but it will help others doing the same job, the series antiburst door handles are 20 odd quid each from the 'addocks. And the drivers side is easy to pick up secondhand as it's the same as a rear door one.

i did this to mine, £40 for the two ex mil door bottoms, £12 for two latch type door handles and locks, then £150 for the two new both windows sliding door tops from Rokcy Mountian.

for the door retainer i just welded a lug onto the mil door frame to take the same pivot (on the restrainer) as the old doors have rather than using the slide option in the door. that way old retainer kept.

lined them with chq on bottom half, after sticking some sound insulation inside them.

much more leg room as the door is much narrower and room for some map pockets etc on them as well.

You probably don't want to know this, but it will help others doing the same job, the series antiburst door handles are 20 odd quid each from the 'addocks. And the drivers side is easy to pick up secondhand as it's the same as a rear door one.

Arrgh - that was a typo. They cost £12 for the pair. Not £120! I would clearly be quite mental to pay that much for them!! :blink:

Looks loverley Tonk. :)

Post a picsy of it closer up when you get a mo

Jon,

yer wings may not be but the headlamp covers, switch gear, rear crossmember bonnett are all 90

Now you just need the proper springs (Coils) :P

i need to take some more pics then :rolleyes:

coils?!?!?!?!?1 soooooooooo 21st century :blink: