300TDi twin Alternator setup

white90

I have been amassing the bits to add a second alternator to my 300TDi.

Thanks to Chris on here for selling me the alternator and Diesel Jim/Jst for wiring

confirmations.

I had been given a bracket to hold the alternator previously but I gave this to James as he was planning the job before me.

I then heard on the grapevine that Gwyn was selling brackets to mount the alternator

So I called him aup and ordered one

It should arrive tomorrow or Monday, I'll post a some pics of the install to add to the already exisiting tech archive done by Diesel Jim previously.

the plan is:

100amp alternator mounted where the aircon pump would go

Gwyn Lewis bracket

belt supplied by Gwyn also

fused relay and utilse one of the spare bulbs on the dash for the charge light

some decent sized wiring to the second battery for charge supply.

If anyone has anything to add from their own set up please post up

the more info we can add to the article the better for the tech section.

The end result should be

x2 100amp alternators

x2 Numax 1000amp batteries wired in parallel

I could add an isolator to the charge wire and drop the belt off until required when off to an event the relay will be fused so I could pull the fuse to stop the charge lamp glowing.

these are random thoughts as I may just fit it and forget it.

I've fitted a 2nd alternator to my 300TDi lump. It's a 100-amp bosch item and is in place of the air-con pump. I've used all the original air con bits though - idler, tensioner, belt. The bracket was a bit fiddly to make, but it was a relatively easy job otherwise. I haven't got round to the wiring side of things yet :)

Les.

Kit arrived Duly From Gwyn

I cleaned the threaded holes out with a Tap first to remove any crud

then set about fitting the brackets, all nuts/bolts are in the kit.

then I mounted the 100 amp alternator and fitted the belt

once lined up I tightened it all down and then tensioned the alternator drive belt

I'll sort the wiring next, and take some more pictures.

Gwyn advised me to run a separate earth to the alternator body to be sure of a good connection as the brackets are painted.

I have seen some of the welded up ones I was going to make one but I'm glad I didn't bother as it was a breeze to fit taking 15mins tops

the wiring will take a little longer to do a nice job.

Wiring Diagram courtesy of Diesel Jim

post-5-125754781064_thumb.jpg

post-5-125754783081_thumb.jpg

post-5-125754785674_thumb.jpg

post-5-125754788267_thumb.jpg

post-5-125754792342_thumb.jpg

post-5-125754795389_thumb.jpg

post-5-125768032622_thumb.jpg

Jase does that give max output at lower revs?

Ralph I'm not sure give Gwyn a call he is very very helpful.

The kit is as simple as it gets but well made saves me trying to weld a bracket nicely and drill all the holes correctly with it looking decent and not breaking in use.

Tony,

Quick question How are you going to wire the batteries?

I have a twin alt setup on a 200 tdi (disco engine type) comp truck running two Numax CXV-X 1000 Amp batteries, three winches, electric lockers and spot lights etc..

wried all the winches to one battery with is own alt , and the car, lockers, lights etc.. all run off the other battery with its own alt. Both batteries have a common earth.

found that i couldn't use both alternators to charge both batteries at the same time, because unless they are perfectly matched, they compete and one will cook.

I am happy with my setup at the moment as it gives a good redundancy if one alt gives up it's a case of unplugging it and patching the batteries together until you get back to service/camp and it can be swapped out.

I have one volt meter on a switch so i can keep an eye on the output of both alternators.

Will try and take some pics for the thread.

paul

You'll need to drop him an email (Gwynlewis4x4@aol.com)or PM on here to confirm price

£35+vat IIRC plus a belt if you need one and postage of course.

Making one looks easy but unless you get it spot on it will be a PITA

this dropped in place and has adjustment to align the belt.

PS for the Record I have no association with Gwyn just a customer.

This is not the only bracket on the market however. I purchased a simler bracket and belt off WEST MIDS 4X4 the other month. The kit comes plated (avoids the need for an earth) with the four mounting bolts for the plate and the two for the alternator. It even came with the belt, and all for £35 plus vat and p+p. I fitted the kit in under an hour myself wireing and all as WEST MIDS even have the looms made for an extra cost. I have done a couple of play days and the Tail End Challange with it on and it has been faultless.

The link to the ebay page i had to phone up seperatly for the loom though.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Land-Rover-300TDI-2nd-Alternator-Bracket_W0QQitemZ260506105442QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item3ca75fb662

just thought i should mention this as an alternative.

Hucks

• 3 years later...