300 Tdi Saws thru radiator hose

Hi,

My first post.

I've recently bought a 1994 300 TDi Defender and have loved driving for the last 2 months.

First problem last week =the small pipe from bottom radiator hose ( going / coming from heater matrix ) hose was sawn through by engine ( fan belt as it turns around metal wheel at top right of engine as you look at it from front of car). Lots of coolant in a puddle under the car.

I bought a new hose and replaced it. The new hose also rests against the fan belt wheel.

The main Land Rover dealer in Cardiff can't tell me if there is a clip that holds it apart.

I've put some cable ties to pull the small hose away from the engine towards the top radiator hose.

The gap is still about 2mm - too close for my liking.

Does any of this make sense & how can I solve the problem.

Cheers, Dave

Should be a horizontal bracket attached to the water pump and a clip to support the hose. Even then its very close. Try tie wrapping the smaller hose to the top main radiator hose, that should keep it clear. Don't let it rest on the belt or it will go in no time, and is you no doubt know, that molded hose costs a bomb...

My EPC is on the other laptop but i'm sure someone will post a pic or the part #s on here. Which reminds me any knack to get the EPC to work on win 2000? it worked ok on win98 but now it says it can find the path and doesn't even start up...

Yes it happens a lot specially on new ones (the Td5 age ones you can buy here). Many people use the trick of moving the bracket to a different bolt on the water pump to hold it further out of the way. Some people also grind the corner off the bracket as sometimes this chafes through the hose as well!

One way to move it is slacken the hose clips at both ends and "twist" the whole hose where it goes on to the radiator, that and cable ties is the usual way of keeping it out of harms way.

Many Thanks to all of you for your replies. Especially Western for the diagram.

It looks like part no. ERR5259

I'll get on the case of buying one asap.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Cheers, Davetb

Bear in mind there is also a plastic clip on top of that metal bracket which for some reason isn't shown in the parts diagram. You need that as well

That'll be ESR2662, shown on the Radiator hoses page item 6 below

radiatorhoses.jpg

Edited by western