Yep, it's leaking!

Kaliboy

Morning!

Our, seemingly, dry Discovery isn't all that.

After last weeks heavy rain, it's started leaking. We've not investigated too far yet but the rear carpet is soaked (it wasn't when we bought it). Water was dripping from the rear air con vents, after the storms. The edge of the roof lining, against the driver's door was wet and when we moved the car, water came out of the passenger seat belt hole from the B pillar! Of course, there were drips from the driver's sun visor too.

Ironically, it's been raining again and everything is dry.

We're going to mastik the front sunroof seal and try and get the back one open to do the same. Is it possible the drains are blocked or broken? If so how difficult is it to fix them?

Water doesn't appear to be leaking from the rear sky lights.....

Any ideas guys?

Cheers

Matt

I have had the headlining out of my 2001 Td5 for the last few weeks to try to pinpoint leaks : water would drip from the sunroof handles and sometimes come out on the seat belt when you went to put it on .

Has leaked very little since I took out headlining - one or two slight drips from front handle and once from where pipe is attached to rear sunroof .

I think the headlining was carrying the water all over the place and it could drip down anywhere .

I have read up a lot on this and hope to :

(a) remove both sunroofs and reseal them to vehicle roof . You could , alternatively , run a line of wide tape around where the sunroof frames contact the vehicle roof - some have been cured in this way and it's easy to do .

(b) it would appear that blocked pipes are rarely a problem but you could blow through them just in case - there is a pipe attached to the two front corners of each roof . Some have found that the boxes to which the pipes are attached are the problem - remove and reseal .

© you could also check the seal the glass makes contact with - it could happen that the seal got pulled up out of its channel at some time and wasn't reseated properly . Apply some silicone grease or Vaseline to the seal to improve its sealing properties . If seal has gone hard or is damaged you can get them off ebay .

(d) some reported that water was getting in from the gutters which run along the edge of the roof - again the sealing agent had failed for whatever reason . Clean and reseal .

I'm almost there I think with the leaks i've had. Had a slight leak at the drivers B post where the water was running down the belt, after I siliconed around where the sunroof seals onto the roof it has been dry so far. When I rechecked the rear sunroof there was a def gap between the roof skin & the sunroof frame again sealed that up & sealed the glass rubber seal to the frame & so far so good. Resealed the alpine windows for good measure & don't have a water fall in the boot every time I move off (well for now) :D

remove the roof lining, get a torx t15 and a couple of screwdrivers and remove the bottom 'sandwich' plate from each sunroof. push out the sunroof (inside to out) and remove the old seal to the roof. reseal with polyurethane, something like sikaflex or a marine use type.-put new seal on the sunroof not the landy's roof. then replace sunroofs and then re screw the bottom 'sandwich' plate back up to the top plate.

it would be worth removing the 4 sunroof glass fixings, removing just the glass from the sunroof and check the rubber seals are in tact, and when re attatching the glass, check the glass meets the seals all around.

it is a straight forward job, just time consuming.

if your carpets are soaked, it would be worth taking up the rear carpets and the front ones so you can dry out the sound proofing.

have fun

as a side note to this my d1 started leaking recently from rear sunroof so i stripped out the headlining etc (what a pain with rear ac that with all the extra ducting lol) only to find it was due to the angle of my driveway!!!

as said the sunroofs only have drains at the front and i reverse onto my drive on a downhill slope so the rain channels in lower sunroof panel fill up and overflow before the water is any where near the drain tubes!!!!!!!!

been parking it nose down and problem gone :unsure:

poor sunroof design i think

rob