Rear door retainer

When changing door I reused the original retainer kit at bottom LH corner of door. On the old door the top of the rod was caught in a turn down bit of metal (and felt quite solid as a result) on the door but the new door lacked this so the rod (and the retaining roller) seems a bit loose. Thought not a lot more until yesterday till opened door and it swung open with loud crack. The spare tyre had cracked the face of the o/s stop/tail light. This never happened with the old door.

I will try to get wire guards to protect light (think I may get away without replacing) but wondered if there had been a design change.

Cannot afford to keep replacing LED light units!

Thanks for any help

Malcy

I dont know for sure but I would suspect there may have been a few design changes over the years, same as with the front door check-straps.

I would be wary of fitting light guards as a solution though, you'll just end up with bodywork damage instead of broken lights, might be better to fix up some sort of alternative retainer, maybe a bit of seat belt webbing or a section of an old strop, even if only temporary until the correct bits can be sourced.

Thanks. Have fitted strop as security. It is definitely the one on the left from westerns post so I wonder if the torsion bar could have "lost" its torsion since it is certainly pretty sloppy. I cannot see the big arm distorting.

Will order up some new bits and see if that sorts it out

Thanks and will report on progress.

Thanks. Have fitted strop as security. It is definitely the one on the left from westerns post so I wonder if the torsion bar could have "lost" its torsion since it is certainly pretty sloppy. I cannot see the big arm distorting.

Will order up some new bits and see if that sorts it out

Thanks and will report on progress.

if the door opens to far then bit no7 is probably missing the rubber bump stop.probably in the old door still.