Alternator Pulley sizes

Orange

I've just replaced the alternator on my 300 Defender... What came off was a Magnetti Marelli 65 Amp jobbie and I've replaced it with a 100 Amp version of the same make. (Wiring is also dealt with...)

the 65 Amp one has a larger pulley with an external fan, but the 100 Amp one has a smaller pulley with an internal fan. The pulleys are not interchangable (I tried) as when you tighten the larger pulley onto the 100 Amp alt. it seizes solid.

I have just put the 100 Amp unit on with it's smaller pulley and replaced the auxillary drive belt with what appears to be no ill-effect...

I am nervous, though! Even though there is plenty of movement left in the belt tensioner, is it a problem to run a smaller pulley on the alternator?? My guess is that the 100 Amp unit needs a higher RPM to produce it's output than the 65 Amp unit would have done, hence the smaller pulley, but can an adult confirm this...??

Cheers

Adrian

Smaller pulley on the new alt means it spins faster for any given engine RPM.

Given that a TDI only revs to 4k i very much doubt it will cause any issue, and will mean you have more power available at idle.

I would guess its come from an engine with a different size of crank pulley, so the alternator pulley is different too.

There are two pulley sizes for the 300 tdi,and two different belt lengths listed in the Gates catalogue to match.

You want the shorter belt,but IIRC there is only about 25mm difference in the two belt lengths,so you may well get away with running the longer one.

Ahhh. Didn't know there were 2 'genuine' belts available. The parts diagrams I have only list 1... I had it pointed out to me that I could just go to Halfords (other motor factors are available) and just buy a similar belt that's a bit shorter...

The problem is that I'm not really going to be able to tell what's going on until it's all under load, i.e. belt slippage, or just lack of 'drive', so I might buy another belt and keep it in the spares box just in case...

Thanks all...