Oily Bits

I fitted a 200tdi into my Defender at the end of last year and its a vast improvement on the NA that came out, i've slowly been going round the engine removing ancilliaries and cleaning them up as it was a bit grimy for my liking. I removed and checked the glow plugs this morning and they're fine apart from the fact that 2 and 3 had lots of engine oil on them (not tar-ry, fresh oil) and 1 and 4 were dry. Is this just because of the piston position at the time that i took them out meaning they'd just been given an oil spray as intended in the exhaust cycle, or is there a problem in the two middle cylinders? (or indeed is there a fault with 1 and 4 because they're not oily!?

TIA

Thanks Western thats reassuring to know. It doesn't seem to be using any oil at all, and doesn't smoke at all as far as i can tell.

I've just checked the diaphragm in the fuel pump for pinholes and it looks to be intact, i've read the tech thread on tuning tdi's, there's a lot of information in there, but can someone confirm or deny the factory position of the diaphragm/fuel delivery pin? Is it that the little mark on the pin should face the valve cover when viewed from the drivers wing looking down at the top of the pump? (i.e, away from you)

on mine, after Tony guidance, the factory setting was when the lowest fuel setting was at 1200hrs.

that is to say the greatest off set (furthest) from centre of the diaphgram pin point towards the engine (perpendicular)

mine had been turned right upto max setting (which was 90deg left from factory (0900hrs)) you can tell its max becuase thats when the fuel needle can get closest to the centre of the pin.

you will see some marks on the pin from the needle.

i settled on 1100/1030 poisiton. not run it for much since then so cant report much to date.

TC well put this across better i expect.

can someone confirm or deny the factory position of the diaphragm/fuel delivery pin? Is it that the little mark on the pin should face the valve cover when viewed from the drivers wing looking down at the top of the pump? (i.e, away from you)

I have done several and seen several different positions for the "tick mark" on 300Tdi's... it seems they are not all made the same!

I suggest making a mark of your own on the diaphragm in the "original position" (say at 12 oclock) then you have a known ref point to go back to if all goes tits up!