airportable chassis parts

dasterdly

evening,

having decieded to start work on rebuilding the airportable, the chassis is the fist item to be sorted, i have ordered a military 1/2 chassis, but whilst chatting to a fellow landrover owner, he thought that there was a differance with the Front Legs and Crossmember Assembly (repair section)

he seems to think that the repair section differs for the airportable than the standard non miliary series 3 swb, in that the profiles are differant and thicker ?

can anybody shed any light on this subject before i order said part. the front chassis legs on my chassis are knackered,and the front crossmember needs attention, so thought i would be easier to replace as a whole unit.

paddocks have the part mentioned, but no specific mention of military fitment.

cheers...

evening,

having decieded to start work on rebuilding the airportable, the chassis is the fist item to be sorted, i have ordered a military 1/2 chassis, but whilst chatting to a fellow landrover owner, he thought that there was a differance with the Front Legs and Crossmember Assembly (repair section)

he seems to think that the repair section differs for the airportable than the standard non miliary series 3 swb, in that the profiles are differant and thicker ?

can anybody shed any light on this subject before i order said part. the front chassis legs on my chassis are knackered,and the front crossmember needs attention, so thought i would be easier to replace as a whole unit.

paddocks have the part mentioned, but no specific mention of military fitment.

cheers...

The difference is further back at the bulkhead outriggers so dont worry about it. :rolleyes:

Don't forget the dumbirons are joined together on a lightweight too. It provides reinforcement for the bumper.

The additional front cross member was there more to brace the front legs of the chassis during airlifting operations than to reinforce the bumper.

The military copy chassis replacement sections (rear) are not completely correct, the factory rear crossmember had diagonal braces between the rear Xmember and the chassis side rails, plus a diamond shaped bracing plate on top of the area where the xmember and the side rails are welded together.

As with anything else, it depends how much you want to spend and how important detail accuracy is to the person doing the restoration/renovation

evening,

whilst everybody seems to have this xmember attatched to their dumb irons, i cant find any info about it,( length,width, thickness etc ) it dosnt appear to be in my pats cat ? and after having looked at the chassis diagram, no sign of the diagonal braces or diamond plates, and my "original" chassis had already been butchered out of all recognition !

any info/photos would be a great help ref: chassis diagrams, front xmember to dumb irons.

cheers...

There are a number of differances between the civilian and lightweight chassis,besides the obivious differance in width at the bulkhead.There is the front crossmember between the dumb irons,this is primarily to strengthen the front end ,but is also how the front bumper is mounted.One point to note is that the seat belt mountings on the chassis under the front of the rear tub are totally differant to others.There are also differances between series two and three lightweight chassis,but that can get a bit long winded.Hope this helps you.

• 2 weeks later...
There are a number of differances between the civilian and lightweight chassis,besides the obivious differance in width at the bulkhead.There is the front crossmember between the dumb irons,this is primarily to strengthen the front end ,but is also how the front bumper is mounted.One point to note is that the seat belt mountings on the chassis under the front of the rear tub are totally differant to others.There are also differances between series two and three lightweight chassis,but that can get a bit long winded.Hope this helps you.

Some pictures of my chassis to give you a few ideas at this stage it was totaly standard with no repairs.

Landy_new_chassis5_thumb.jpg

bigger photo of above

Landy_Suspension3_thumb.jpg

Bigger photo of above

Editied to add:

Sorry - i' had infact chopped off the drivers side engine mount at this stage, but thats it!

Some pictures of my chassis to give you a few ideas at this stage it was totaly standard with no repairs.

evening lee,

as i have just recieved my half chaasis, it appears the same as yours except for the diamond bracing plates and diagonal braces, ( thank you..oneten110 )but i cant see a problem welding some plates in, i shall just refer to you chassis pic.

cheers...

evening lee,

as i have just recieved my half chaasis, it appears the same as yours except for the diamond bracing plates and diagonal braces, ( thank you..oneten110 )but i cant see a problem welding some plates in, i shall just refer to you chassis pic.

cheers...

Before you fit it, check the positions of the body securing brackets on the rear xmember. When I did mine the rear Xmember was so far gone I pulled it off with my hands. No kidding! So I din't bother checking anything. But when I came to put the tub back on, the only body mounting bracket that lined up was the centre one. All the others were about 25mm off, towards the right hand side of the truck. Which was just a bit irritating!