How not to park a trailer

keithjh

Hi All,

Having just returned from one of my twice yearly trips to Bosnia carrying aid for a charity, this happened to one of our convoy, it was the vehicle in front of me not a pretty site i can tell you seeing a 3 1/2 ton trailer with Disco airborne. I have never been so happy to see anyone covered in blood climbing out of a vehicle. Both people were fine apart from a couple of head cuts and a lot of bruises. Crash happened neat Wurzburg southern Germany on our way to Bosnia,Basically he got a wobble due to the tram lines and lost it.112.jpg[/img]

The German emergency services were superb within minutes 4 fire engines, 2 ambulances and police attended. As he left the road he hit 3 logs about 24" in diameter and 15ft long they launched him airborne doing a compete 360 before he landed, trailer chassiss snapped, axle snapped.

But it shows you the strength of a LR, not a pretty site. Both lads carried on with the convoy after a visit to hospital to have their heads super-glued.

Regards

Keith

Thats bad luck and lucky every one was ok,

Wurz(el)burg to me sounds like it should be a place in Somerset :lol:

traveled this road towing 3(ish) tonnes this summer to Eastern Europe didnt find it that bad sat at 55 on the cruse.. What got me was the constant amount of traffic same at 3:30 in the morning as 3:30 in the afternoon... oh and the 1/2 euro charge if you want to have a pee at the services :unsure:

Sorry to hear that!

I can strongly recommend those sway-away trailer stabilisers. I had a wobbly trailer where the weight distribution was critical otherwise it was uncontrollable. Fitted one of these - and it made it almost impossible to get wobbling. Total transformation!

Someone else recommended the hitches that damp the wobble by squeezing the tow ball - at least they do not require the tow vehicle to be modified.

This kind of thing makes me realise how good value the sway arresters are!

Si

I did not realise that charity runs were still going down to Bosnia!

On towing a car transporter back from Hungary with a 110 on it I hated the tram lines on the German autobahns as the car transporter was riding up and down the grooves and had a tendency to wag the rear end of the Disco. Hence was cruising at max of 50mph. Only problem was the German police pulled me over for going to slow, they then had fun and games as we did not have a 'auto passport' for the car transporter and no gross train weight in the Disco V5.

Glad no one was seriously hurt.

Now what is the best sort of stabiliser for towing? Alko clamp on type or lever type? Any decent comparative reports between the different stabilisers?

Brendan

Yikes! Glad no one was hurt!!!

I've always found it strange that trailers dont have stabilizers as standard. The old springy metal bar ones are great, but can be forgotten, the hitch type ones cannot be forgotten. Most if not all new caravans have them now. (Some 'vans now even have anti snaking ecu thingy... puts the 'van brakes on) Not that I tow yet, but I would never want to tow without some kind of stabiliser.

Stabilisers are good, but do need a little time to do the damping.

We did have a snaking accident with a caravan with one of the AlKo stabilisers, purely down to not being time to dampen the sway before hitting a Transit going the other way.

I've driven with both types - and to be fair, there's nothing in it so long as they are properly adjusted.

If it's taking time to stop the sway - it's not providing enough damping and needs tightening up. Once I'd set mine properly, it was almost impossible to start it swaying!

Si

I have had owners complaining about a small amount of light corrosion as they are worried it could remove the friction material from the stabilsers brake pads. I know they have to be completely clean and if anyone is unhappy with my tow ball I offer to fit their own to my truck. I cannot report how effective they are as all caravans tow pretty well behind a 12 ton truck !!