Noise on Deceleration - Help Needed

aldoha

My wife drives an '03 plate TD4 ES Freelander which has developed a strange fault.

When the internal heater fan is on, a strange grinding noise can be heard when the foot is lifted off the accelerator pedal. There is no noise when the heater fan is switched off.

Has anybody come across this before, or have any insight as to the possible cause?

Grateful for any assistance.

Thanks,

aldoha

Only an idea but how about its something to do with the car decelerating when the pedal is lifted and the "g force" causing a worn shaft on the fan motor to move slightly and the fan to come into contact with the surroundings and thus produce the grinding noise. I suppose you could test this by rolling along in neutral and applying the brakes which would have the same effect.

(this must be the first time that a Freelander fault might be tied up with Einstein's general theory of relativity!)

• 12 years later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I also have a Freelander 1 which has an increasingly loud and nasty noise when the heater fan is switched on, particularly on deceleration, going round bends and in reverse. Noise stops in neutral or when stationary. Nobody seems to know what the problem is so any ideas would be much appreciated!